ICQ contacts were deleted randomly

Hello,

today I have upgraded to Openfire 3.3.3 and the new Gateway plugin. It was rather simple to get it working, but all my ICQ contacts were suddenly moved into a single group on my roster and their names were reset to the ICQ nickname field. So I had a great work in renaming the contacts again, some of them I couldn’t even assign to a known name anymore so I had to ask them who they are. Also, the authorisation state is wrong. Psi always shows “to” for all transported contacts but it’s not true, we can all see each other. When I re-authorise the contact, nothing changes. Sometimes after a re-login, some contacts are still moved into a new group that wasn’t there before.

Even worse is that some of my ICQ contacts were deleted with no notice at all! I was just wondering why one of them is missing after I restarted the server. Then I re-added him and next time, he was gone again! Also a couple of other contacts are simply lost. I have to go search their numbers again to re-add them.

Just wanted to let you know that the Gateway plugin is really not “stable”. You should have put a “beta” or something on it. I’m now trying to switch back to the Py* transports, they weren’t always stable, but at least reliable.

Not sure what else I should add here. Openfire version 3.3.3, Gateway plugin as of today (no idea what version, I’m deleting it now).

This is not a problem of the Gatewayplugin (or at least not alone). Don’t judge too fast on who to blame…

PSI does not work well with Openfire, at least, thats what I noticed. I also had my contacts messed up, but it also happens without the transport, just with local Jabberusers, they all move into one group and start acting weird.

I haven’t investigated on who to blame, I just switched the Client, as others are working as they should.

Couple of things…

1. The authorization state is supposed to be to. There’s no good reason for the legacy contacts to have a “from” with you because the legacy service handles their actual knowledge of whether they can see you or not. Having “both” or “from” with XMPP causes a -lot- more traffic than is necessary. (Every status change means number of contacts you have + 1 (for gateway itself) notifications … whereas when I switched to using “to” only 1 notification goes out) It’s an optimization. =)

2. It’s been a while since I’ve heard of contacts being deleted outright. Is anyone else seeing this? I can’t duplicate it on my own setups. Also, do you have any debug logs to help illustrate to me what might be going on?

3. I am aware of problems with groups not staying put. I created an issue GATE-364 to track the problem.

4. If you migrated from PyICQt to the gateway plugin, there’s a lot of stuff PyICQt couldn’t store server side, so for example PyICQt can -only- store contacts in a single group on ICQ itself, so when you switch to a real ICQ client or the IM gateway plugin, they all scoot into that group. The only reason they stay put with PyICQt is because they are set in place in your XMPP roster.

I mean at the end of the day, all I can tell you is it’s been working well for a lot of people. There’s certainly issues here and there, but I for example have been running it and have run into little problems. I really can’t help you debug what is going on if you’ve deleted it already and have already decided “it sucks”.

If nothing else, can anyone else please speak up if you are running into similar problems?

And thanks No.2 =)

BTW, that’s interesting regarding Psi… I test mostly with Psi and I wonder if part of the issues I’m seeing are indeed related to it. I’ll test some more with Spark and others. May I ask what client you switched to?

If the default installation wrote any logs, I can send them to you for further analysis. I don’t have the plugin installed anymore, just out of the fear that it destroys any more. I never had deleted contacts with Wildfire 3.2.x, PyICQ-t 0.8a (and before) and Psi 0.9.3-cvs. I recall there have been some minor authorisation issues in the last few years, and PyICQ-t dropping the ICQ connection every now and then, but nothing critical like this. You may understand that I’m not ready to try that software again on my “working” (= primary) accounts.

I guess it’s still the aftershock that on a later login to Jabber, I needed to re-auth, rename and re-group almost all ICQ contacts. Also, all of my 2 or 3 MSN contacts are gone again. But that’s not too bad, I’ve quit the MSN transport now. Didn’t really need it anyway.

So, simply from judging what has worked for years and what has not worked at all in a day, I’d say that my old Psi is good and Openfire 3.3 + Gateway plugin is not good. This may have been due to unlucky circumstances that may never be discovered, but it’s my observation.

Unfortunately, you have to have enabled debug logs in openfire to have seen what happened.

Either way, whatever works for you. Just not much I can do to address your issues. And apparently it doesn’t matter.

I don’t know if you have any python coding experience, but I am still looking for more folk to take over PyICQt and PyAIMt. I do not do any development work for them anymore. Chris Carlin is more or less the lead developer at this point but I don’t think he has a lot of time either. =)

I tried various Clients: Gaim, Pidgin, PSI, Miranda and Pandion with various results ending up using Spark, as it worked best despite the heavy memory usage. Miranda scored a close second.

Gaim & Pidgin couldn’t find the transports (haven’t tried further).

PSI messed up all the contacts (I might do it again and log that for you if you like)

Pandion has that known little problem with MSN, what really bugs me most, as it has a beautiful and simple look which would be perfect for our staff (hating everything by instinct that has too many buttons and is not colourful).

Miranda worked fine, except that it is not showing which contact is which transport…probably a setup or plugin-thingy. I have to admit I was a bit short on time, so feel free to correct my first impressions.

Gaim/Pidgin don’t speak XMPP very well (yet). They can’t interact with transports directly. If you registered with Spark, they won’t interact with them at all. (same goes for Adium X) However, if you registered with “anything else” and then connect via Gaim/Pidgin, the transports should function.

I don’t want you to have to screw up your roster, but I must admit I’m intrigued as to what happened with Psi!

If you really want to use Pandion and are willing to compromise on the “proper way to handle legacy addressing with @'s in it” … (note that this is more of a developer/purist compromise, your users won’t give a flip) … take a look at the gateway properties document in this community and note the percenthack tweak. That makes Pandion and the IM gateway get along a lot better.

If it helps development I’ll happily screw up my contacts for you (Only local ones though…my ICQ-Roster is a collection of 10 years now…I’d like to keep it the way it was…

I’ll post the logs in the afternoon.

I’ll invest further into pandion, my last impression was, that there is no way to work around the problem that pandion deletes MSN contacts when you move them…or do I remember that wrong? Dunno…I’ll have another check. Too many clients in my head to remember which had exactly which problem.

Another thing that springs into mind I’d like to ask (if you’re here already): Spark 2.5.7 and OF 3.3.2 - Adding a user from a transport.

At the moment, I have to type user@transport.jabberserver which is certainly too much for the people I intend to use it later on. I remember there was a time when Spark had a simple box where you entered the username, then chose the transport from a dropdown list…now my question: Was it revoked for some reason, am I just fantasizing or is something wrong over here and it should be exactly like that?

Oh btw…THANK YOU! forumguys for that brilliant recovery-feature of already written but not postet messages! Sweet

Addition:

Reading this http://forums.pandion.be/viewtopic.php?t=441&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= openfire&start=30

makes me stop trying Pandion before I start. SSO is a nice thing to have and as I read, it’s a bit troublesome to set up (don’t mind much) with Pandion AND absolutely needs a Windowsserver for Openfire. And that, by the hammer of Grabthar, will not become an option.

No.2 wrote:

If it helps development I’ll happily screw up my contacts for you (Only local ones though…my ICQ-Roster is a collection of 10 years now…I’d like to keep it the way it was…

I’ll post the logs in the afternoon.

Ok, thanks!

I’ll invest further into pandion, my last impression was, that there is no way to work around the problem that pandion deletes MSN contacts when you move them…or do I remember that wrong? Dunno…I’ll have another check. Too many clients in my head to remember which had exactly which problem.

It’s been a while since I tried as well. I do know that Pandion won’t support the avatars I’m adding in 1.2.0 because it only supports the old “iq based avatars” that are totally deprecated at this point.

Another thing that springs into mind I’d like to ask (if you’re here already): Spark 2.5.7 and OF 3.3.2 - Adding a user from a transport.

At the moment, I have to type user@transport.jabberserver which is certainly too much for the people I intend to use it later on. I remember there was a time when Spark had a simple box where you entered the username, then chose the transport from a dropdown list…now my question: Was it revoked for some reason, am I just fantasizing or is something wrong over here and it should be exactly like that?

Hrm. I can see it on mine! Under Add Contact there’s a checkbox for “User is on a public network” and under that you can choose from any of the available transports (assuming Spark picked them up). Basically you enter the username like you would in AIM (or whatever) and hit that checkbox and you don’t have to do the full JID. Are you not seeing that?

Oh btw…THANK YOU! forumguys for that brilliant recovery-feature of already written but not postet messages! Sweet

Addition:

Reading this http://forums.pandion.be/viewtopic.php?t=441&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= openfire&start=30

makes me stop trying Pandion before I start. SSO is a nice thing to have and as I read, it’s a bit troublesome to set up (don’t mind much) with Pandion AND absolutely needs a Windowsserver for Openfire. And that, by the hammer of Grabthar, will not become an option.

LOL

Sorry, I didn’t manage to test yesterday, but I did it now…guess what. It works. PSI looks nice, all groups are there, looks like nothing has ever happened at all. Nothing unusual in the logs as well.

So i checked my personal logs to see if I may have mixed something up and I found a screenshot of PSI definitely putting everything into one big group. Wellwell…

Are there any Plugins for PSI providing SSO and maybe an Icon for the transport of a contact?

Spark, yup…what you describe is what I remember and certainly not how it looks right now…I’ll have a try deleting the configs of Spark to see if it changes.

It probably wont change a thing as a completely new Spark on my Linux shows exactly the same. However I have some Errors in the Log which might be related.

This is getting a bit offtopic, so feel free to push me somewhere else if it’s related more to spark than to the IMGW

SCHWERWIEGEND means “serious”…I have no idea though why Spark logs partially in German

11.10.2007 10:44:09 org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SCHWERWIEGEND:

forbidden(403)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryMa nager.java:413)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryMa nager.java:379)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.transports.TransportUtils.isRegister ed(TransportUtils.java:108)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.GatewayButton$2.run(GatewayButton.ja va:67)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:417)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:269)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:123)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 650)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

SCHWERWIEGEND:

forbidden(403)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryMa nager.java:413)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryMa nager.java:379)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.transports.TransportUtils.isRegister ed(TransportUtils.java:108)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.GatewayButton$2.run(GatewayButton.ja va:67)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 650)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)

SCHWERWIEGEND:

forbidden(403)

11.10.2007 10:45:24 org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SCHWERWIEGEND:

java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: netscape: not found

at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:148)

at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:65)

at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:451)

at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:591)

at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:429)

at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:326)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.BrowserLauncher.openURL(BrowserLauncher.java:506)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.updater.CheckUpdates$4$1.finished(CheckUpdates.java: 440)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2$1.run(SwingWorker.java:136)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java: 242)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:16 3)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

11.10.2007 10:45:26 org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SCHWERWIEGEND:

forbidden(403)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.RosterDialog.getAccounts(RosterDialog.java:483)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.RosterDialog.<init>(RosterDialog.java:175)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList$20.actionPerformed(ContactList.java:1707)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1849)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2169)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:302)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1051)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.ja va:1092)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5517)

at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3135)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5282)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1966)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3984)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3819)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4212)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3892)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3822)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2010)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1791)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java: 242)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:16 3)

SCHWERWIEGEND:

forbidden(403)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList$20.actionPerformed(ContactList.java:1707)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.ja va:1092)

SCHWERWIEGEND:

forbidden(403)

Forbidden! That is actually very helpful! Well I hope it is… generally that shows up if you have configured your transports to not allow the account in question to have access to the transport. That will help narrow down the issue though … as from my understanding of what you are saying, the person is indeed registered with some of the transports but still can’t see them. So first step, take just one of the transports that is “having this problem” and go into the admin console and see what it’s permissions setting is set to. Verify that there is a registration for that account. I think we can narrow down what’s going on and it might be a simple bug in some of my logic. =)

I think I got, wat is causing the failure:

My permissions in the backend are set to “manual registration via Backend” which should only affect, if I got it correctly, the registration of a new user to a transport, not the addition of other users to a users roster.

If I change that to “Everyone’s allowed to register” the error is gone and I can see the correct menuoptions.

Did I get it wrong or is it a fault? (If I got it wrong, why can I still ad a user if I include the transport with his contact?)

The Sparklog with the error (for MSN):

11.10.2007 17:04:10 org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SCHWERWIEGEND:

forbidden(403)

The server doesn’t log anything

Another thing connected with the permissions:

If I choose “manual via backend” and allow a user to use an external transport with a specific ID…he is allowed to change his ID on this transport and the password, which I think he should not be able to do if I like to have everything administered in the backend.

GATE-375 and GATE-376

Would you ready over GATE-376 and add any comments you have? Especially regarding being able to change passwords. There were specific requests to allow the end user to be able to update their password if they needed to, which I believe in. However I think limiting it to only passwords is a good idea. Thoughts?

Looks good to me, nothing to add. Changing passwords is fine for me, but you could also make it an option via a checkbox in the backend (if someone needs full control).

If all the options become too complicated, you might add a list, say

“Transports managed via backend, but allow”

Account change

PW change

This way you could provide everyone quite easily with the restrictions needed, because I’m quite sure, there are people who would like to allow any account, as long as they allowed the usage for a certain user at all.

Okok…I had something to add

we’ve just had a user report this same thing happening to them. We’ve built our own jabber client using the smack libs.

The user signed in and then they reported that 22 of the irq contacts had their name reset.

Thoughts?

No debug files available - our site is too high traffic.

Mike

That’s a bloody good idea! I added it to GATE-376.

It almost sounds like … like the contact was moved to a different group in the land of ICQ and the nickname just didn’t come with it. Anyone else seeing this? And did it happen semi-randomly or did it correspond with any event you are aware of?

Don’t know if there are any other threads on this now, but this one came up in a search.

I have just had this reported from a couple of the staff here. Some users moved, some deleted. Logged into ICQ client and they are really gone. Unfortunately didn’t have the debug on.

We are running Spark 2.5.8 with Openfire 3.4.4 and Gateway 1.2.2a

Is there any update on why this is happening, or if there is any way to recover from it?

For info - error.log

2008.01.23 14:36:22 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.loadPlugin(PluginManager.java:506)
] Error loading plugin: C:\Program Files\Openfire\plugins\iball-auditor
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jivesoftware/wildfire/container/Plugin
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.loadPlugin(PluginManager.java:384)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.access$300(PluginManager.java:46)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManager.java:1013)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$101(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.runPeriodic(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
2008.01.23 14:36:42 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.loadPlugin(PluginManager.java:506)
] Error loading plugin: C:\Program Files\Openfire\plugins\iball-auditor
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jivesoftware/wildfire/container/Plugin
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.loadPlugin(PluginManager.java:384)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.access$300(PluginManager.java:46)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManager.java:1013)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$101(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.runPeriodic(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

We recently switched from ejabberd+py-transports to Openfire 3.4.3 and IM-Gateway 1.2.2. We had the same problem, but I do think (I don’t have any debug logs) the deleted contacts had “none” subscription (working nonetheless with the pyICQt), but were deleted with some of the clients. Miranda has such an option to clear the roster of unsubscribed contacts by default.