I have some questions:
- What is the right way to add new contact from ICQ network? When i click ‘Add new contact’ , do i have to type email@example.com and select that user is on a publicn network ‘ICQ’ or just 12345 and select network?
Depends on your client. I will assume you are referring to Spark since it sounds like you are describing it. =) Basically either way should work. The latter is the “more user friendly” way to do it. The former should work just fine though.
- How does gateway handle the contact’s nickname? I’ve discussed this here: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/29303 and still can’t understand why my new contacts don’t have any nickname/full name, just ICQ UIN? Old ones, that have been registered from original ICQ clients, have the nicknames. But those, that i’ve added (or they’ve added me) using IM Gateway, don’t have anything except UIN.
The IM Gateway transport does not yet have the capability to retrieve the nicknames/full names of contacts from ICQ. A “real ICQ client” does this …
you “search” for the contact, it gets the person’s nickname and full name from that
once you click add, it adds the contact and includes in the “alias” field (i think that’s the name of the field, don’t know off the top of my head) the nickname or full name if no nickname was present in what it stores in your server side contact list
The plugin is lacking the step where it looks up the person’s nickname and full name. It’s on my todo list and in fact I wrote the code for it back in one of the 1.0 series versions, but the ICQ servers were ignoring my requests so clearly something is “off” there. See GATE-49
However, if you manually set the name for an ICQ contact, it should stick! (aka an Alias)
- Many of those (added) just don’t appear in my roster. I have a lot of conversation with them, i have history, but roster is empty. If i click ‘Add new contact’, add them again and open the conversation dialog, i can see the old history of conversation. After that they will disappear again, as far as i remember.
Just to make sure, are you certain they are not invisible? (ICQ has an invisible status)
- Can i create the ICQ groups that will be added to the ICQ server?
If you assign users to groups in Spark, they should carry over into ICQ.
- Can i move ICQ user from one ICQ group to another permanently? Or it will be apllied until i log out?
It should move permanently.
- What about http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/29302 ?
I… don’t know! =) I’ve noticed Spark eliminates options on a few things and I don’t understand why. There’s a couple of contacts in an “Unfiled” group for me, for example, and they’re perfectly legit contacts but there’s no options for it. There’s move to with a blank list and copy to with a blank list and others that are missing. Strange!