ICQ gateway questions

Hello.

I have some questions:

1. What is the right way to add new contact from ICQ network? When i click ‘Add new contact’ , do i have to type 12345@icq.mydomain.net and select that user is on a publicn network ‘ICQ’ or just 12345 and select network?

2. How does gateway handle the contact’s nickname? I’ve discussed this here: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/29303 and still can’t understand why my new contacts don’t have any nickname/full name, just ICQ UIN? Old ones, that have been registered from original ICQ clients, have the nicknames. But those, that i’ve added (or they’ve added me) using IM Gateway, don’t have anything except UIN.

3. Many of those (added) just don’t appear in my roster. I have a lot of conversation with them, i have history, but roster is empty. If i click ‘Add new contact’, add them again and open the conversation dialog, i can see the old history of conversation. After that they will disappear again, as far as i remember.

4. Can i create the ICQ groups that will be added to the ICQ server?

5. Can i move ICQ user from one ICQ group to another permanently? Or it will be apllied until i log out?

6. What about http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/29302 ?

Thank you for the great project. I’d love to fix all bugs and mistakes

hiddenman wrote:

Hello.

I have some questions:

1. What is the right way to add new contact from ICQ network? When i click ‘Add new contact’ , do i have to type 12345@icq.mydomain.net and select that user is on a publicn network ‘ICQ’ or just 12345 and select network?

Depends on your client. I will assume you are referring to Spark since it sounds like you are describing it. =) Basically either way should work. The latter is the “more user friendly” way to do it. The former should work just fine though.

1. How does gateway handle the contact’s nickname? I’ve discussed this here: ICQ nicknames, predicate group, contacts auth requests - Kraken - IM Gateway - Ignite Realtime Community Forums and still can’t understand why my new contacts don’t have any nickname/full name, just ICQ UIN? Old ones, that have been registered from original ICQ clients, have the nicknames. But those, that i’ve added (or they’ve added me) using IM Gateway, don’t have anything except UIN.

The IM Gateway transport does not yet have the capability to retrieve the nicknames/full names of contacts from ICQ. A “real ICQ client” does this …

1. you “search” for the contact, it gets the person’s nickname and full name from that

2. once you click add, it adds the contact and includes in the “alias” field (i think that’s the name of the field, don’t know off the top of my head) the nickname or full name if no nickname was present in what it stores in your server side contact list

The plugin is lacking the step where it looks up the person’s nickname and full name. It’s on my todo list and in fact I wrote the code for it back in one of the 1.0 series versions, but the ICQ servers were ignoring my requests so clearly something is “off” there. See GATE-49

However, if you manually set the name for an ICQ contact, it should stick! (aka an Alias)

1. Many of those (added) just don’t appear in my roster. I have a lot of conversation with them, i have history, but roster is empty. If i click ‘Add new contact’, add them again and open the conversation dialog, i can see the old history of conversation. After that they will disappear again, as far as i remember.

Just to make sure, are you certain they are not invisible? (ICQ has an invisible status)

1. Can i create the ICQ groups that will be added to the ICQ server?

If you assign users to groups in Spark, they should carry over into ICQ.

1. Can i move ICQ user from one ICQ group to another permanently? Or it will be apllied until i log out?

It should move permanently.

1. What about Shared groups and ICQ groups - Spark Dev - Ignite Realtime Community Forums ?

I… don’t know! =) I’ve noticed Spark eliminates options on a few things and I don’t understand why. There’s a couple of contacts in an “Unfiled” group for me, for example, and they’re perfectly legit contacts but there’s no options for it. There’s move to with a blank list and copy to with a blank list and others that are missing. Strange!

1. Yes, i’m speaking about Spark Ok, thanks.

2. What a pity Nicknames support is VERY important, IMHO. Have you looked at the PyICQ-t code? Afair, it has the working nicknames support. Or it was JIT gateway…Don’t remember

3. But what is the problem with ‘Invisible’ status? I’m not sure, are they visible, or invisible. But the problem is here: i don’t see these users in my roster

• OK
  4. Spark still has strange groups/contacts behaviour. Especially with ‘Offline’ ones. Why didn’t they do common offline users handling? I don’t know. Even current handling has artefacts and bugs

p.s. Btw, how do you quote my text while replying? Can’t find the way

hiddenman wrote:

=) No problem!

1. What a pity Nicknames support is VERY important, IMHO. Have you looked at the PyICQ-t code? Afair, it has the working nicknames support. Or it was JIT gateway…Don’t remember

grin I wrote the PyICQ-t code. Yeah I haven’t yet tracked down what’s different between what I’m doing on the gateway plugin end and PyICQ-t. Seems like something trivial that I’m overlooking, unfortunately. =/

1. But what is the problem with ‘Invisible’ status? I’m not sure, are they visible, or invisible. But the problem is here: i don’t see these users in my roster

You don’t see them in your offline group either? (so they’re totally not in your roster?) Just to make sure, have you tried connecting to like the web icq client? Some clients will actually store local contacts instead of uploading them to the server. So sometimes contacts appear to be on your buddy list in a different ICQ client but really they’re only being tracked locally. I don’t know if that’s the case, but thought I’d mention it. =)

1. Spark still has strange groups/contacts behaviour. Especially with ‘Offline’ ones. Why didn’t they do common offline users handling? I don’t know. Even current handling has artefacts and bugs

I’m not entirely sure. The :: support isn’t standard either. It’s specific to Spark. (I wonder if there’s an XEP proposal for nested groups? I vaguely recall seeing one once … would be nice!)

I’m using the Plain Text editor and you click the quote symbol. " (between the abc with a checkmark and the ? help button)

jadestorm wrote:
hiddenman wrote:

=) No problem!

1. What a pity Nicknames support is VERY important, IMHO. Have you looked at the PyICQ-t code? Afair, it has the working nicknames support. Or it was JIT gateway…Don’t remember

grin I wrote the PyICQ-t code. Yeah I haven’t yet tracked down what’s different between what I’m doing on the gateway plugin end and PyICQ-t. Seems like something trivial that I’m overlooking, unfortunately. =/

ROTLF Yes, now i remember you (I’ve thought i had seen you before, but couldn’t remember :). Do you remember me? We told a lot two year ago in your MUC, patching russian encodings and so on. Ok, doesn’t matter. It’s cool that you are you

1. But what is the problem with ‘Invisible’ status? I’m not sure, are they visible, or invisible. But the problem is here: i don’t see these users in my roster

You don’t see them in your offline group either? (so they’re totally not in your roster?) Just to make sure, have you tried connecting to like the web icq client? Some clients will actually store local contacts instead of uploading them to the server. So sometimes contacts appear to be on your buddy list in a different ICQ client but really they’re only being tracked locally. I don’t know if that’s the case, but thought I’d mention it. =)

Yes, they are just not in the roster. I’ve just connected to the ICQ using SIM, and they are in my roster. But in Spark i can’t find them by UIN or Nickname. Kopete doesn’t show them too After adding user in Kopete i can find user in Spark. Hmmm…Strange. Is it the SIM’s issue?

1. Spark still has strange groups/contacts behaviour. Especially with ‘Offline’ ones. Why didn’t they do common offline users handling? I don’t know. Even current handling has artefacts and bugs

I’m not entirely sure. The :: support isn’t standard either. It’s specific to Spark. (I wonder if there’s an XEP proposal for nested groups? I vaguely recall seeing one once … would be nice!)

I’m talking not only about ‘::’, but about the common contacts handling. Something strange happens sometimes. Can’re reproduce now.

I’m using the Plain Text editor and you click the quote symbol. " (between the abc with a checkmark and the ? help button)

Ok, thank you. Can you see that?

hiddenman wrote:

jadestorm wrote:
hiddenman wrote:

=) No problem!

ROTLF Yes, now i remember you (I’ve thought i had seen you before, but couldn’t remember :). Do you remember me? We told a lot two year ago in your MUC, patching russian encodings and so on. Ok, doesn’t matter. It’s cool that you are you

I do, I just wasn’t sure where I remembered you from. =) (I remember hiddenman)

Yes, they are just not in the roster. I’ve just connected to the ICQ using SIM, and they are in my roster. But in Spark i can’t find them by UIN or Nickname. Kopete doesn’t show them too After adding user in Kopete i can find user in Spark. Hmmm…Strange. Is it the SIM’s issue?

It’s possible SIM stored them locally and they’re not actually server-side. That’s about the only reason I can come up with for the behavior you are seeing!

I’m talking not only about ‘::’, but about the common contacts handling. Something strange happens sometimes. Can’re reproduce now.

Ok, thank you. Can you see that?

hehe I can indeed =)