IM Gateway Plugin 1.0 Released!

Hi folk! I am pleased to announce the release of version 1.0 of the IM Gateway plugin a few minutes ago! Unlike previous versions, it should show up in your actual Wildfire/Openfire install under available plugins. (no need to manually download) None-the-less, if you’'d like to manually download, it can now be found on the standard Wildfire/Openfire plugins page. =)

I would like to thank all of the folk who helped with debugging/testing/patches/etc so far and hope that you all, and all of the probable new folk coming along, will continue to report bugs and help me track down what’'s going on! =)

A couple of notes about this release for those who have been testing previous versions:

• ICQ support has been buggy and I decided not to let it hold up 1.0. As a result it’‘s been moved to “experimental”. joscar doesn’‘t have ideal support for ICQ yet, but we’'re working on it.

• Most of you know that Yahoo was labeled experimental a while ago. I won’'t say specifics right now (unless said folk want to speak up ;D up to you), but there is some great stuff being done on that front!

• SIP/SIMPLE support was, much to my dismay, removed entirely… This was due to the contributors being unable to sign the contributor agreement with Jive. Unfortunately I have to abide by those rules to help protect Jive. (note that I totally understand both sides point of view, I just am saddened that it had to come down to this) Hopefully in the future we will have functional SIP/SIMPLE support again. (I am reopening the original issue regarding it)

From now on the IM Gateway plugin will be updatable from within Wildfire/Openfire’‘s own interface, so until I start thinking through 2.0 beta turf, there won’'t be any need for the beta plugins page on our front. =)

Anyway, hope you all enjoy it and as always, please leave feedback/bug reports/etc in this forum!

Daniel – congrats on the release! Definitely a huge accomplishment and I can’'t wait to see where the gateways go from here.

I’'m afraid this seems to be a step backwards.

0.8 ran brilliantly with a couple of bugs. 1.0 barely runs; with the Spark gateway icons appearing intermittently or not at all. Also, when it does work - the bugs from 0.8 still appear to be there.

I’'m rolling back…

I’‘m definitely holding out for ICQ, that’'s my main network (besides XMPP)

btw, did you add MUC support? That’'s pretty essential for IRC…

I have posted the issue from jira before regarding muc support… no I have not added it. It will be a closed issue when it’'s added.

I don’‘t really have anything specific I can work with with these comments. I certainly haven’'t seen any such issues.

I’‘m not sure why that is the case. I’‘ve been using the plug-in since 0.1 and love it. I recognise a lot of work has gone into this, and it’'s not what you wanted to hear about the release version however:

1. The bug regarding signing in from an MSN client leaving a stale connection is still there (the bug I mentioned)

2. I have IRC, MSN and ICQ enabled. Spark does not see the gateways when logging it. Over a 20 minute period some, and sometimes all of the gateways appear and can be used. This is compared to 10 seconds with 0.8.

This is running on version 1.0 of the plug-in and yesterdays wildfire release.

Message was edited by: DeeJay

1. which jira issue is it?

2. That actually sounds more like the old Wildfire/Openfire getting confused issue. (That I can’‘t do anything about) Look in your server sessions screen. I think it usually will show the JID of the transports in question if there are problems. It’‘s got something to do with a packet coming in before the plugin starts up so Wildfire/Openfire gets into some confused state where it thinks icq.whatever is an external address, but it owns the address all of a sudden, and things get stuck in a loop. Usually you can also see the cpu usage of wildfire go up in the process. (the same thing occurs with the Py transports, just it happens more often since, being an internal plugin, it takes less time to start up) The only thing I’'ve ever come up with that fixes it is to find all of the instances of icq and msn and friends in server sessions, close the connections, and restart the plugin. The annoying thing is, I have never been able to reproduce the bug on the fly so that anyone from the Wildfire/Openfire team can actually track it down.

Thing is, in relation to the bugs you reported with Spark, nothing has changed on that front. There were very few changes from 1.0 beta 8, and almost all of them were related to the protocols themselves, not to the base transport, which is what would affect this. I have no idea what Spark might be doing. I don’'t use it. =) But the symptoms sound similar to what I described above.

I’‘m not sure it’'ll help, but Spark is logging the following:

SEVERE: Unable to load private data for Gateways

No response from the server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.PrivateDataManager.getPrivateData(PrivateDataManager.ja va:209)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.transports.TransportUtils.(Transport Utils.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.GatewayPlugin.populateTransports(Gat ewayPlugin.java:145)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.GatewayPlugin.access$000(GatewayPlug in.java:59)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.plugin.gateways.GatewayPlugin$1.construct(GatewayPlu gin.java:75)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I’‘ve the seen the issue with timing previously, but I don’'t believe that is the problem in this case (having restarted client, gateway plug-on and server in various orders).

1. http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/GATE-185

Followed your lead and attempted to use a different client, which worked perfectly.

So, it would seem that the gateway is fine (sorry about that!), however for whatever reason 2.5.0 beta 4 doesn’'t work with the latest gateway and server products.

D

Hey, no worries. It’‘s hard to tell where the problem is coming from with a lot of issues that come up. I mean from my perspective it could be anything from the client -> xmpp server -> gateway plugin -> library used for protocol -> real legacy servers. That said, it’‘s “not a good sign” to hear that it’‘s not working with the latest Spark. =( I probably don’'t have to say this, but please be sure to report this in the Spark forum! =)

You’‘re kidding me, that’'s still causing problems?! I explicltly testing the crap out of that! =( Is it at least telling you that someone connected from a different location or is it not even doing that?

(er this was re: the msn issue)

Message was edited by: jadestorm

I think ‘‘yes’’ and ‘‘no’’.

When Spark decides to work, it doesn’'t detect the multiple login.

When I use Neo as a client it does get the message about logging in from another location. However, it doesn’‘t remove the users from the rosta (but it’'s a definite improvement).

I’‘ve since tested the gateway with the release version of Spark and the detection of the available gateways just won’'t work.

If I login with Neo and make the registration with the MSN gateway then Spark subsequently logs in. However, when I do this the MSN Gateway appears as a user in the Roster (under Transports) and Spark doesn’'t seem to realise they are MSN user (i.e. the icon is not displayed to indicate it).

D

I think ‘‘yes’’ and ‘‘no’’.

When Spark decides to work, it doesn’'t detect the multiple login.

When I use Neo as a client it does get the message about logging in from another location. However, it doesn’‘t remove the users from the rosta (but it’'s a definite improvement).

I’‘ve since tested the gateway with the release version of Spark and the detection of the available gateways just won’'t work.

If I login with Neo and make the registration with the MSN gateway then Spark subsequently logs in. However, when I do this the MSN Gateway appears as a user in the Roster (under Transports) and Spark doesn’'t seem to realise they are MSN user (i.e. the icon is not displayed to indicate it).

D

Aww crap. Sounds like I didn’'t actually force the logout properly when I saw the message come in. GATE-198

jadestorm wrote:

Unlike previous versions, it should show up in your actual Wildfire/Openfire install under available plugins. (no need to manually download) None-the-less, if you’'d like to manually download, it can now be found on the standard Wildfire/Openfire plugins page. =)

have to mention that one should remove beta version first, only then 1.0 version will appear on Available plugins page, and i had to restart server for plugin to appear at installed plugins page.

Really? Aww man! I guess 1.0 < 1.0 Beta. Thanks for pointing this out!

When it is planned to make support ICQ vCard?

GATE-42 basically sometime in the 1.* series.