Import User-Data

Hello JiveSoftware-Team,

I am missing an import-function in the admin panel. It would be great if the admin could choose an csv-file and the panel would import all the data of this file. So the admin do not have to enter all the data by the html-form.

Greeting,

Daniel

I was successful by simulating the admin form over a java based http client library. If you know a bit of java you can create thousends of users on the fly as I did.

http://www.olat.org/demo/RemoteAccountCreationImplOverHTTP.java

good luck!

Guido

Message was edited by:

guido

Hm. I need this feature too! I want to migrate about 200 users from a jabberd server over to my new messenger server.

I know a lot of C, C++, Perl, PHP, Python… but I don’‘t even know a bit of Java. I was kind of thinking I could just import the users directly into the backend DB (I’‘m using MySQL). Of course that’‘s not as generic as the admin interface method you’'re using here.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts.

Paul,

If you or someone else was willing to write a script that converted the jabberd users into a nice XML format, then we could take on the task of importing that XML into Jive messenger. I’‘d much rather handle it through XML since that won’'t couple the import to a particular db or database schema.

Regards,

Matt

It seems like that wouldn’‘t be too hard. We might even want to import folks from our LDAP database, that would be cool. Having some kind of file-based mass import (actually getting back to the original poster on this thread) seems like a useful feature; whether it’‘s attached to the admin web interface or just some script that’'s invoked on the server from the command line is not that important (to me anyway).

The question is, what qualifies as a “nice XML format”? What data would we need to have to allow users to import?

Hi Daniel/Paul,

I was eyeing an import/export feature as my next plugin. As Matt brought up in url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=13834this[/url] thread, it would be nice to define a Messenger XML file format which would then help ease the migration from other Jabber/XMPP servers to Messenger.

Thanks,

Ryan

Oops, I guess Matt beat me to this one.

Message was edited by:

Ryan

Yah, it seems we’'re all back to tripping over an XML definition. Is someone interested in defining this or should we just make something up? It would be good to know which fields are absolutely required (For sure the JID, and I guess an initial password) and those which are possible (email, full name… anything else?)

Ah. I get it though… this part is simple. The REALLY nice thing would be to be able to export/import all their preferences and buddies, too. Well, I think jabberd stores all this in XML anyway, doesn’'t it? Maybe use that format?

Paul,

Maybe you and Ryan could work on a simple XML format and propose something to everyone else via the forums?

Thanks,

Matt

Yah, it seems we’'re all back to tripping over an XML

definition. Is someone interested in defining this

or should we just make something up? It would be

good to know which fields are absolutely required

(For sure the JID, and I guess an initial password)

and those which are possible (email, full name…

anything else?)

Does jabberd keep track of creation date?

Ah. I get it though… this part is simple. The

REALLY nice thing would be to be able to

export/import all their preferences and buddies, too.

Well, I think jabberd stores all this in XML anyway,

, doesn’'t it? Maybe use that format?

For sure you’‘d want to import the users buddy list and groups. I think jabberd can be configured to store all that info XML or a database; I know Jabber Inc.’'s server can.

I’'ve attached a real basic xml file that maybe we can use as a starting point. Let me know what you think.

I’'ve also created a JIRA item, JM-169 to help track this request.

Thanks,

Ryan

Removed file, attached proposed schema to JIRA item.

This is exactly what I am looking for.

I want to move from a jabber 1.4.x server with 348 users to jive messenger. Of course, I would like to preserve my users data, at least their username, passwords and contacts.

I would greatly appreciate if the migration script could be completed. Right now, the data is stored in files like this:

$ cat jabber.user.xml

<password xmlns=’‘jabber:iq:auth’’ xdbns=’‘jabber:iq:auth’’>xm151373<query xmlns=’‘jabber:iq:register’’ xdbns=’‘jabber:iq:register’’>jabber.user<password xmlns=’‘jabber:iq:auth’’>xm151373<query xmlns=’‘jabber:iq:roster’’ xdbns=’‘jabber:iq:roster’’><item jid=’‘user1@jabber.myserver.mx’’ name=’‘user1’’ subscription=’‘both’’>U.C.S.I.<item jid=’‘user2@jabber.myserver.mx’’ name=’‘user2’’ subscription=’‘none’’ ask=’‘subscribe’’>Friends<item jid=’‘user3@jabber.myserver.mx’’ name=’‘user3’’ subscription=’‘both’’>Friends<zerok xmlns=’‘jabber:iq:auth:0k’’ xdbns=’‘jabber:iq:auth:0k’’>410669F7403a76f244bbef1ab3f28298bb157f6ba2374a25606<foo xmlns=’‘jabber:x:offline’’ xdbns=’‘jabber:x:offline’’/><query xmlns=’‘jabber:iq:last’’ last=’‘1105568645’’ xdbns=’‘jabber:iq:last’’>Disconnected

$

Hi Imoq,

There are some tweaks that still need to be done, by both myself and the main Messenger developers before the user import/export plugin can be released but it’'s coming along nicely. Currently, the plugin supports the importing and exporting of user data that conforms to the jivemessenger.xsd schema (the schema can be found as an attachment on issue JM-169), so if people want to migrate from another jabber/xmpp server they will have to massage their user data to conform to the schema. Once the plugin is released, I will be more than willing to help people with their conversion efforts.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thank you very much for your information and effort, Ryan

I’'ll be looking at the progress of this plugin.

Cheers,

Alex.

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that I checked a user import/export plugin into cvs last week that (as the name suggests) allows the importing and exporting of user data via xml files. This plugin requires the next version of Messenger, 2.1.3, so if you want to use it you’'ll have checkout the plugin source from cvs and either use the latest nightly build of Messenger or checkout its source from cvs as well. Hopefully this plugin will be the first step towards helping ease the migration from other XMPP/Jabber based servers to Messenger.

I’'d love to get some feedback on it so if anyone is feeling adventuress and decides to try it please let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan

hey, dont forget about your real job;) Thanx:)

Fortunately, at my real job I’‘m allowed to spend a certain percentage of my time doing “research”, so lately I’'ve been using that time to work on plugins for Messenger. It works out well since it gives me a chance to give back to the open source community while at the same time helping to improve a product my company uses.

Hi, ryang

Is there any chance that the plugin is now out of CVS? If not, I’'ll look for the CVS version anyway and see if it works. I am really looking forward to use this server

Thanks for your hard work!

Hi Imog,

No, the plugin has not been officially released, which is entirely my fault. The plugin is functional but there are a couple of things (namely the way the user schema validation file was loaded) that I never liked. There’‘s been a change to the upcoming 2.1.4 version of Messenger that will allow me to clean the code up a bit which I plan on doing. Once that is done and I’‘ve added some documentation I’'ll get the plugin put on the download page.

If you do try out the plugin in it’‘s current state I’'d like to get your feedback on it.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hello,

I think it’'s great that this plugin was created and I immediately wanted to use it. I will export from Jabberd2 MySQL datastore to Jive Messenger.

I’'ve created a Perl-script that creates the XML specified in JM-169 from the Jabberd2 datastore. I then downloaded the source from the CVS at jivesoftware.org and even managed to build a jarfile (in JBuilder) that will make the plugin appear in the Jive Messenger Admin Console.

My problem is that the JSP-pages will not load. When I click http://myserver:9090/plugins/userimportexport/import-export-selection.jsp a empty page is displayed, and I get no messages in the logs… Anyone with a clue to what it might be? Or even better: is there anyone out there that managed to build a functioning plugin-jar that could share?

Thanks,

/John

Hi John,

I’‘m glad to hear that you’‘re interested in trying out the plugin. It’‘s strange that it’‘s not working for you. Which version of Messenger are you using? I’'ve attached a functioning (for me at least) plugin jar file that you can try out. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Ryan

Great! Thanks so much for your help!

I had made an error when building the jarfile and put the jsp-files directly in the web-folder - now they display as they should, and I can initiate imports and exports from the web-console.

However - when importing, my servername is added to what is in the jid-attribute in a Item-node in the XML: If i have user@server.com on my roster the importer will try to import user@server.com@myserver.com (where myserver.com is the server I made import at). If i add the user user@server.com with my jabberclient and then try export it the jid-attribute in the Item-node will be “user” (without server)… Maybe I’'ve missed something here (it has happended before ) and in that case I would appreciate a pointer… I will also try to read the code and see if I can get the answer there

Thanx again for the very quick help,

/John