powered by Jive Software

Inconsistent login success using Red5

Hi All

I understand development of Red5 Sparkweb is on ice (bummer as it’s pretty cool!) but thought I’d ask all the same to see if there is a fix or something I am overlooking.

Red5 Sparkweb is installed and running with our Openfire 3.6.4 installation, but logins using Red5 Sparkweb are inconsistent to the point of being unusable.

I’ve tried all sorts of browsers (IE7, IE8, Safari x86, FF3.0.x - 3.5.x) on Windows XP Professional and OpenSolaris 2009.06 base OSs. In all cases the only platform which allows me to consistently and successfully log in to Red5 Sparkweb is OpenSolaris running Firefox 3.5.1.

In all other cases on Windows XP Professional using combos of the above browsers (on several test machines) I will see:

  1. credential prompt followed by login success, or

  2. credential prompt followed by total browser inactivity when credentials are entered (browser will either report “tranferring data…” endlessly, or simply “Done”)

About 90 percent of the time I see the latter. I’ve checked and opened firewalls wide open, removed AV software, and in the case of IE brought security levels down to their lowest levels - with no change in behvaiour.

Clearing browser caches doesn’t seem to change the behaviour.

In all cases Flash player is running version 10.0.32.18.

Clients are all on the same corporate network as the server.

Now, activating the debug log in Openfire I see stuff like the followin:

  1. when clients first download the Red5 Sparkweb app:

2009.09.07 17:30:07 Cleared thread-bound request context: GET /red5/sparkweb/plugins/plugins.xml HTTP/1.1
Host: my.server.somewhere:7443
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,/;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-nz
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

  1. and then when credentials are entered with no further response from the browser (lots of these):

2009.09.04 17:37:44 ConnectionHandler:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: SSL handshake failed.
at org.apache.mina.filter.SSLFilter.messageReceived(SSLFilter.java:416)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$HeadFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:499)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.fireMessageReceived(Abstra ctIoFilterChain.java:293)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor.read(SocketIoProcessor.j ava:228)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor.process(SocketIoProcesso r.java:198)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor.access$400(SocketIoProce ssor.java:45)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor$Worker.run(SocketIoProce ssor.java:485)
at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.EngineInputRecord.bytesInCompletePacket(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.readNetRecord(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.unwrap(Unknown Source)
at javax.net.ssl.SSLEngine.unwrap(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.mina.filter.support.SSLHandler.unwrap0(SSLHandler.java:658)
at org.apache.mina.filter.support.SSLHandler.unwrapHandshake(SSLHandler.java:614)
at org.apache.mina.filter.support.SSLHandler.handshake(SSLHandler.java:493)
at org.apache.mina.filter.support.SSLHandler.messageReceived(SSLHandler.java:306)
at org.apache.mina.filter.SSLFilter.messageReceived(SSLFilter.java:392)

Any clues anyone, and is anyone else seeing this too?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi there,

I think maybe it has something to do with SSL. Did you try accessing the site from http instead of https? I read somewhere that that red5 sparkweb thing didn’t properly support https I think.

Edit: I also remember changing some port inside the index.html of the red5. Maybe there is another file you have to change a port in. I think I read somewhere that you have to change the default crossdomain port for the flash to work properly.

It would be really nice if we could get this video chat thing working properly for each user. I don’t understand why this is not being developed right now. Maybe theres something better somewhere. I wonder if its even possible to have video and text chat in the same window with sparkweb. It doesn’t seem very secure to me since anyone can just go to the urls without being logged in as a user.

Ryan

Goto http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/196527#196527

Thanks for your reply rrhode, and thanks Dele - that seems to have resolved the issue.

Cheers!

Dave