Installed Plugins not showing Openfire 3.9.3

hello,

I installed plugins on my openfire which i downloaded from Ignite Realtime: Openfire Plugins , i used the link on the server to install the jar plugins but they do not show up un the installed plugins page.

after reading numerous post and did not find a solution here i am desperate for help.

here is my server log.

2014.12.31 05:25:59 org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager - error in opening zip file

java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file

at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)

at java.util.zip.ZipFile.(ZipFile.java:215)

at java.util.zip.ZipFile.(ZipFile.java:145)

at java.util.jar.JarFile.(JarFile.java:154)

at java.util.jar.JarFile.(JarFile.java:118)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.unzipPlugin(Plu ginManager.java:1107)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManag er.java:998)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:304)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301 (ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Schedu ledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

2014.12.31 05:25:59 org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager - error in opening zip file

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.unzipPlugin(Plu ginManager.java:1107)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManag er.java:998)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301 (ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Schedu ledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)

2014.12.31 05:26:19 org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager - error in opening zip file

2014.12.31 05:26:19 org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager - error in opening zip file

Please a detailed step by step help will be greatly appreciated as i am not very technical, what do i need to do and whats causing the issue.

Thanks

How exactly do you install plugins? Are you downloading the jar files and then adding them via Browse on the Plugins page in Admin Console? Maybe they are damaged when downloaded. Try installing them from the Available plugins page in Admin Console.

Thanks for the reply, I did install some from the admin console and installed them from the install button beside the plugins, others i wanted to update so i downloaded the updates from the ignite plugin page and installed them from the browse page on the admin console but both ways all give the same error and both ways do not show up in the installed plugins page.

You shouldn’t download updated plugins and update them manually by dropping jar files, it should show on the plugins page that update is available (if it is required, sometimes just plugin version number is bumped to fix some issues with the site). If you really want to reload a plugin, then you should remove and install it via Admin Console (uninstall and install with a plus sign).

Now about the actual problem. What operating system? What installer for Openfire do you use? If it is Win Vista or later are you running it via Openfire Launcher? If so, do you run it with Run as administrator option? Maybe you use some non Oracle Java or do you use Openfire’s built-in Java?

Hi,

I use Ubuntu 14.4 and openfire 3.9.3 i have java 7 installed in my system, please see the acutal error log i pasted above.

the issue is…even plugins that i installed from the openfire available plugins are not showing up in installed plugins, it says it will show up after a while and i wait forever and nothing happens, and when i go back to the available plugins, they are still there but without the install icon by the side.

The problem with java errors is that they are usually very vague. I can’t read them. Not even a java developer So i’m guessing. It says that there are problems with extracting the jar files (i guess). Can you check permission on the openfire/plugins folder. Is the user which you are running Openfire with has write permissions in that folder? Actually it is better for that user to have write permissions in whole openfire folder.

Try to check the Java version from first page of OpenFire admin console, I had this problem and it was because of outdated java version, even I was upgraded my java from 6 to 7 but OpenFire still was using the 6 one.

The java version on my open fire is version 7. so i don’t know where d problem is. any more help on how to solve this will be appreciated

Try to download plugins directly from your “available plugins” page in your admin console, instead of manually dropping the jar file in.

I did install some from the admin console and installed them from the install button beside the plugins, others i wanted to update so i downloaded the updates from the ignite plugin page and installed them from the browse page on the admin console but both ways all give the same error and both ways do not show up in the installed plugins page.

You really shouldn’t download plugins directly from the official plugins page, it contains the latest plugins and some of them do not work with the latest stable release (3.9.3) but only with the dev release (the ones you have to compile yourself). You should only install plugins in your “available plugins” page from the admin console, and if it doesn’t prompt you for updates, don’t update.

What exactly does it say on the start page of Admin Console. Mine is saying Java Version: 1.7.0_72 Oracle Corporation – Java HotSpot™ Client VM

right now.

mine is saying Java Version: 1.7.0_65 Oracle Corporation – OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM

hey wroot,

I am having the same issue with plugins not working with my upgraded installation.

I hope its just that I have an older version of Java, my console says: 1.6.0_24 Sun Microsystems Inc. – Java HotSpot™ Server VM

How can I safely upgrade it? I am on Ubuntu 8.04 ( I know its ancient!)

Thanks!

I have used these instructions a while ago to install Oracle’e Java in my Ubuntu/Xubuntu virtual machines (though not so ancient):

Install Oracle Java 7 in Ubuntu via PPA Repository ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

Install Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu Via PPA Repository [JDK8] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog