Installing Openfire 3.6.3 troubles (accessing setup)

I have installed Openfire 3.6.3 on a Linux server via an rpm.

I open port 9090 and port 9091 in the firewall.

I read in the mysql schema to the database that I created.

I manually edit the openfire.xml file with the database connection and port information.

After installing, I run /etc/init.d/openfire start . I check to see that the server is running.

I go to myip.xxx:9090 and can’t connect. I try port 9091 and can’t connect.

The logs don’t tell me anything, so I am unsure as to what to do next.

Hi,

is iptables blocking your access?

daryl

Thanks for your reply. I have the following as iptables rules:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9091 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9090 -j ACCEPT

When that didn’t work, I flushed the rules and did an iptables -L to show that nothing was being blocked. I still could not connect.

I wonder if openfire is even listening on those ports.

If I issue a netstat -a | grep LIST, I don’t see anything listening on port 9090 or 9091.

If I do a pz -aux, I get this:

daemon 11150 0.1 2.0 670864 42572 ? S 17:40 0:22 /opt/openfire/jre/bin/java -server -DopenfireHome=/opt/openfire -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/opt/openfire/lib -classpath /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar -jar /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar

Does any of this help resolving this problem?

I was able to get this working by rebooting the server. I am still unclear as to what needed to happen during the reboot process (Openfire, firewall?) to make Openfire listen on the correct ports. I had restarted the iptables service, network service, restarted Openfire and it wasn’t until rebooting that things started working. This happened on another server with a previous installation of Openfire.

Typically you would not need to update openfire.xml at all, as the settings are written out to this file. In fact if you have edited this file, and the permissions are changed (e.g. ownership or r/w mod stats), set up will fail. I also wonder, is selinux enabled, passive, or disabled?