Introducing myself - mentor wanted

I’m quite new to this group, an open source community and more or less to openfire itself. About one year ago, I started to work with openfire based on a student project. I’ve looked into the code, wrote plugins, learned a lot and had fun. The student project was fininshed about 2 months ago, but I’ve started to introduce Jabber/Openfire to our institute as an administrator and continued to work with it.
For the future I would like to write and review patches for tinder, whack, openfire, smack (the copyright assignment should already be received by Jive) and support the community by keep an eye on jira and the forum.
I would appreciate if I get the permissions to add patches for jira tickets (and delete my own patches) and create new tickets. It would also be nice if someone review and discuss the patches. This could be done by the community or maybe a contact person like a mentor.

slushpupie should be preparing the Guidelines doc about whole the mentoring stuff and Jira/SVN access granting procedures. As a tester of Guenther’s patches i can confirm at least that his patches are working and he has quite a good knowledge of Openfire inners (or learning fast) I’m not sure if i can be a mentor, because i cant check the quality of the source of the patches. At least i can be of help to a mentor by testing the patches.

Welcome to our community, Guenther

Hi Guenther,

I have given you elevated privs in Jira making you a part of the messenger-developers group, which should get you going.

Given that you already got a number of patches into trunk, I would think your mentor process would be quick

daryl

I have given you elevated privs in Jira making you a part of the messenger-developers group, which should get you going.

It looks that I’m able to create issues and add files for openfire, maybe this is also possible for whack, smack and tinder? I would like to add an issue for smack (Concurrency Issues in SASLAuthentication.java - #9 by Guenther_Niess - Smack Dev - Ignite Realtime Community Forums).

Thanks wroot and daryl!

I have added you for whack, smack, and tinder

daryl

It works, I’ve created my first JIRA ticket SMACK-271 .

I wonder how did you insert this link? Manually? Cause these forums should be converting JIRA links automatically. You just have to type issue name-number - SMACK-271

I wonder how did you insert this link? Manually?

Yes.

Cause these forums should be converting JIRA links automatically. You just have to type issue name-number - SMACK-271

Cool, I didn’t know that. (a small test issue SMACK-271, hmm, it doesn’t work )

Strange. Are you using HTML mode? Maybe it only works with the Rich Text Editor.

Strange. Are you using HTML mode? Maybe it only works with the Rich Text Editor.

I used the rich text editor, maybe my firefox extensions causes this problem. But I can live with insert links manually.