IRC transports/plugins/components?

I’‘m just curious if anyone has been successful getting an IRC transport to work with the Jive Messenger 2.2.x beta. I’‘ve tried JJIGW , but it doesn’'t seem to work properly and has some issues anyway.

Or… is anyone working on such a transport/plugin/component? Perhaps a way to bridge IRC with JM’‘s GroupChat? And to be specific, I’'m talking of a way to access IRC through a Jabber server, not access a Jabber server via an IRC client. Thanks!

Hey Daniel,

I never tried that gateway and AFAIK JJIGW is the only IRC gateway available. I’'ve seen some posts of people that are using that gateway (with other servers). However, you may need to use the latest code in their code repository (subversion I think). I see that the latest download at JabberStudio is as of last year and I saw a post with some patches of last month. Let us know if you are having JM issues when connecting this gateway.

Regards,

– Gato

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to write a plugin for Jive that acts as an IRC transport? I’‘m a complete newbie at Java, and I haven’'t looked too much at the plugin API and such for Jive, but would a plugin be able to do something like that? Or would it be better off to have an external component?

Hey Daniel,

Using the Component API it is possible to run the same code as an internal component or an external component. The only precaution you should have is to not reference any internal JM class when developing your component. FYI, although running components as external component is possible (in Whack), it is not officially supported yet.

Regards,

– Gato

I’'m courious, will there be IRC transport/gateway/plugin or something like that for JM?