Is a video call not peer to peer?

I have users in two locations, each network has a VPN to my network where the Openfire server is located. Each of the user networks also has a VPN to each other. When a video call is initiated it appears that the call is routed via server even if the users are on the same network. Is that correct or can it be go peer to peer? Ideally the video portion would go peer to peer and save bandwidth. The server shows their correct local IPs but if the calls have to travel up and back down the VPN for the entire call then this will eat all of the bandwidth.

Using the latest stable openfire, red5 beta plugin, and stable version of Spark.

RTMP protocol used in Red5 is a TCP client->servevr->client protocol. The new RTMFP protocol supports client->client with UDP, but is not yet supported in Red5 as you need a server to discover clients.

It is possible to do RTMFP without a server with Flashplayer 10.1 using IP multicast on a private network to discover clients.

I am hoping to support all of this in Redfire one day soon… :wink:

ok, hopefully someday this will work. Such a great server that has been stalled on the cool features for a long time. I just upgraded to the new server and redfire plugin but now even less works.

Correct Answer