Is DimDim relevant and cool?

Hello!

Just stumbled across http://www.dimdim.com/

It is very much about collaboration, whiteboarding, chat incl. Audio/Video, etc. and the project went open source recently? So my questions are:

Do you think it is relevant and it will proove their claim “to end the aera of Webex”

Do you think it is possible and/or feasable to integrate it into OpenFire and Clearspace?

P.S. NO, I am neithe user nor any sort of endorser for them, I’m just curious to find out about the longer term roadmap of Jive’s products!

Bye

Starry

We tried it out, but it only wants to work in InternetExplorer, and even then it was buggy - it crashed one of our PCs (not the other).

Hello!

1. They claim, that you need IE just for the presenter. The listeners can use Firefox or other browsers…

2. I hear, that their latest version from Nov07 should be vastly improved. I also heard horror stories of older alphas…

The main question is still not about the current quality of their product but rather “is the idea it important” and “is it relevant to Jive”

Bye

Starry

The idea is very important, to have this in a platform independent manner.

I don’t know if it is relevant to “Jive”. Did you mean Ignite Realtime? They should be the ones to answer

starry99 wrote:

The main question is still not about the current quality of their product but rather “is the idea it important” and “is it relevant to Jive”

Yes, Dimdim is relevant to Jive and its Ignite Realtime community. Check out the Remote Desktop with Spark? thread.

At the university where I work, we would love to see Jive integrate Dimdim Open Source with Openfire and Clearspace. We use Openfire and Clearspace X for our student/faculty communities and are currently considering integrating a commercial Web conferencing solution ourselves - either AT&T Connect (formerly Interwise) or Adobe Acrobat Connect.

• Rob