Is It Possible That 1 Wildfire Server With 2 Networks?

I have a wildfire serever in a DL 380 with 2 NICs. Now the server’'s IP is 192.168.1.100, but now I want to connect another network with the other NIC whose IP is 10.10.10.100.

Is it possible?

Or if it is, how to configurate the server?

Thanks very much.

broom

Hey broom,

If you don’'t specify network.interface in wildfire.xml, you need not do anything because Wildfire will bind and listen to all available network interfaces in your server including the loopback (127.0.0.1). If you specify network.interface then you should explicitly define:

Refering to inbound connections, as long as your clients can resolve to any of your server’'s IP addresses at any of the interfaces, they should be able to connect to your server. E.g. clients from 10.10.10.0 network would connect at 10.10.10.100, whereas, clients from 192.168.1.0 will connect at 192.168.1.100. In most cases, this should be transparent to you.

If you’‘re refering to outbound connection like server to server (S2S) connection whereby your server will connect to other external server (e.g. otherserver.com), then first, your server should be able to resolve otherserver.com to an IP. After that, it depends on the routing table of your server. If otherserver.com resoves to e.g. 10.10.10.2 the static route in your server’‘s routing table should route the connection to the interface that has 10.10.10.100 as its IP. If there isn’'t any static route then your server will attempt connection on the interface which is defined as the default gateway.

OK, thank you very much.

I’'ll try at once.

First time, I didn’'t change wildfire.xml and connect the server with the other NIC. I filled “10.10.10.100” in login server, but a Login Error occured: Invalid username or password. So I added an item in “hosts” File: 10.10.10.100 mycompany.com. But it still failed.

Second time, I changed wildfire.xml. I added

in it. Restarted wildfire and connected.

It failed either with different error: Can’'t connect to server: invalid name or server not reachable.

Why?

Thank you very much.

broom

The changes that you should make is at the client’'s side. First, make sure that mycompany.com is also defined in Server->Server Settings->Server Name in the Administration Console of your Wildfire server.

Then, if you’‘re using Spark, the simplest way is that you enter mycompany.com at the Server: box of the login screen. Then click on Advanced button. On the Preference Window->General tab, unclick Automatically discover host and port, then enter mycompany.com’'s IP address in Host: box. Try to login.

Hi,

what did you specify as xmpp.domain aka server name? This should be example.com and you must use SRV records for xmpp so that the clients (and remote servers) connect to your Wildfire server.

Or you do the very easy setup and use normal DNS entires with a name like jabber.example.com - but there the email address will not match the xmpp address.

LG

Dear aznidin?

I have done what you said, but it failed still…

Any other suggestion?

Dear LG,

Actually, the domain name of server is im.mycompany.com. But after I restarted yesterday, IP has change to 10.10.10.100 in Administration Console.

I use a computer with IP 10.10.10.101 to ping 10.10.10.100, there are replies.

But I still couldn’'t login. The same error occored: server unreachable.

What to do next?

Thank you very much.

broom

Hi,

please check with “netstat -an|grep 5222” which IP addresses Wildfire is using.

LG

Message was edited by: it2000 “@” --> “|”

From the client pc that failed to connect, can you:

telnet 10.10.10.100

What is the result?

Dear LG,

It’'s NOT 10.10.10.100:5222 listening.

I have restarted wildfire service, should I restart HP Server?

Thank you very much.

broom

Message was edited by: broom25

Hi,

so where is it listening? “*.5222” or ???

LG

LG?

192.168.1.100:5222 is listening and established.

Ompf,

the Wildfire-IP-bind problem. Comment the network section in conf/wildfire.xml so Wildfire binds to all addresses. It seems that it can accept just one specific IP address.

Or make sure that there is just one address and use a connection manager for the other IP address. The web admin interface will then not be available for the second IP address.

LG

Dear LG,

I’'ll try this later today.

Thank you very much.

broom

After 2 weeks, it’'s OK now.

But there is a little trouble: I want the second NIC(10.10.10.100) connect to Internet. For safety, I put a PIX firewall between. And clients get connect throught VPN.

First, a PC with an Internet IP connects the server successfully though it’'s slow.

Second, a PC with an Intranet IP which is given by a router failed to connect the server.

And when I ping the server IP, it says that:

Pinging 10.10.10.10 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.10.10.10: bytes=32 time=446ms TTL=128

Reply from 10.10.10.10: bytes=32 time=449ms TTL=128

Reply from 10.10.10.10: bytes=32 time=452ms TTL=128

Reply from 10.10.10.10: bytes=32 time=518ms TTL=128

What’'s the matter?

Hi,

did you set up a local DNS for your LAN?

Or does your intranet client connect to your public interface as your xmpp.address resolves to a public address?

LG

Dear LG,

I didn’'t setup a DNS for either NIC.

And my intranet client DOES connect to the interface by im.mycompany.com which mapped to 192.168.1.100;

but my Internet client connect to the interface by IP 10.10.10.100 directly with VPN.

Thank you very much.

broom