Issue with Openfire service on 64 bit system

I have installed openfire service on a system which is Windows 2012 R2 Server 64 bit.

In order to stop the service we have a batch file which is used to stop the service.

Below is the piece of code which stops the service:-

for /f %%i in (‘wmic process where “(ParentProcessId=%NS_PID%)” get ProcessId ^| more +1’) do (

•   for /f %%a in ('wmic process where "(ParentProcessId=%%i)" get ProcessId ^| more +1') do (*

_ echo %%a|findstr “[1][1-9][0-9]$ [2][0-9]$ ^0$”>nul && TASKKILL /F /PID %%a || rem_

•   )*

)

where NS_PID is the process id for the openfire service.

Whenever I stop the service I am getting below logs in the Event Viewer:-

Faulting application name: openfireService.exe, version: 1.0.10.0, time stamp: 0x4f460074
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18233, time stamp: 0x56bb4e1d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00041eef
Faulting process id: 0x99c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ef4ddda01043
Faulting application path: C:\XX\openfire\ns\bin\openfireService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 38c6351a-5b41-11e6-8129-00155d7f011e

Though the service stops, but this error message is confusing. Attached are the images of the error logs and accompanying app crash message.

1. - ↩︎

2. 1-9 ↩︎

It looks like this script kills Openfite process instead of stopping the service gracefully and that’s probably the cause of this error. Do you see this if you stop the service manually? By killing the process this way you also risk of losing some data which hasn’t been yet written into database.

@wroot I always have to stop the service manually only and there is no automatic stopping of the service involved. Can you suggest some better way to do it?

What i meant, is to stop the service via services.msc panel. Or at least by using these commands How can I stop and start services from the command line? | Windows Server content from Windows IT Pro and not taskkill command.

We are actually stopping service from services.msc which in turn calls our batch file to stop the service.

Well, this is not a standard feature then. Stop command should just stop the service without calling anything else.

You can try stopping it via cmd with: net stop “Openfire”