Issues following upgrade to 3.6.3

We’ve just made some changes to our Openfire server, primarily upgrading from 3.6.2 to 3.6.3, and almost immediately we experienced some issues that have not subsided. Prior to this, we’ve been running for a long time without issue, including several upgrades. The main bad things:

• The admin interface is dramatically slower. Previously, it was snappy and responsive. Now, for example, opening the groups list takes 5-20 seconds.

• Lots of client crashes. At least 3 of us using Pidgin started getting recurrent crashes upon connection. Then, 2 iChat users began reporting the same thing. Normally I’d blame the client but it’s affecting more than one app and the timing is suspicious. I upgraded my pidgin to 2.5.5 and this stabilized me. The other 2 are still crashing.

Here is everything that we did:

• Upgraded from 3.6.2 to 3.6.3

• Switched from JDK 1.5.0_16 to 1.6.0_07

• Modified and added a bunch of LDAP groups (increased from about 3 to 15 groups)

I thought it might be an issue with the number of groups, but I reduced them to no avail. My prime candidate right now is the JDK. We only switched to 1.6 because of fatal exceptions immediately following upgrade. Some forum posts pointed to a 1.5 issue so we moved up, but AFAIK the problem was fixable, so we could possibly roll back.

Has anyone else had any problems with 3.6.3? Which of the 3 big changes sounds like the most likely cause?

-Mike

Looks like 3.6.3 was built with 1.6, we got class version errors when we tried to roll back to JDK 1.5. However, I did switch to OpenJDK 6 and there is a marked improvement. I won’t know about client stability until I get feedback tomorrow, but the admin interface is noticably faster now.