Jabber Groups and Users not being populated when sharing list

Im having trouble with some of my users not seeing thier group of users in the list.

I have filters on both groups and users to filter out anyone not belonging to cn=Jabber*.

When I login, I belong to a group JabberGroupXXX, and I share out the group between its members.

Whenever I login, non of the users get populated. Even though I am in the group…

Other users cant see me in the group in chat either…

So why doesnt it work!!! My roster indicates its blank… When I look @ the group, my user name is in it!!!

Also when I go into the roster properties and click on a user thats supposed to be populated into the users group…

Use the form below to edit the roster item of user MEtheUser

That XXX@jabber.domain.com is supposed to be in my SharedGroups… and when I go to the groups via the link, Both he and I are in the group…

SO Why doesnt this work!!

I was having similar issues with groups not seeing lists and such until I configured our LDAP settings to see the group setting. Apparently the default OSX LDAP configuration is not compatible with the default OpenFire setup.

ldap.groupDescriptionField

description

Click to edit this property
Click to delete this property

ldap.groupMemberField

memberUid

Click to edit this property
Click to delete this property

ldap.groupNameField

apple-group-realname

However, we’re still having issues with group chats. Our MacOSX 10.4 users don’t get group chat invites, and nobody sees the inital text information when invited to group chats.

how is changing that from “cn” to appleblahblah gonna help my situation? can u explain the reasoning behind it.

Because the group listing IS working for most people…but 4 some, its not.

The apple-blah-blah would only help you if you are using an OSX server to provide your LDAP. I can’t tell what LDAP configuration you’re using, but I was trying to hint that you may have to customize your group settings for whatever LDAP or AD system you are using.

Matter of fact I am using an MAC OSX server… But it is connecting to a windows ldap…

That configuration info still would not explain why it works for most users and not some…

So looking into the problem a little deeper…

It turns out that my login name was “Myname” instead of “myname” which cause it to not populate for some strange reason… I changed my login to lower case and everything shows up…

Is this lame or what? Why should a capital letter prevent me from showing up on the list… Why is this case sensitive? Is there any reasoning behind it. Is this a feature or a bug?

did you check the logs on the server when u were having this issue?

we’re having odd issues with sending invitations and i’m trying to troubleshoot, and the group seems to have an error on connection. did you see anything like this in your log…

here’s our log:

2009.02.23 09:25:37 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.getGroup(LdapGroupProvider.ja va:91)]
org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupNotFoundException: Groupname Luma Jabber not found
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findGroupDN(LdapManager.java:855)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findGroupDN(LdapManager.java:782)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.getGroup(LdapGroupProvider.jav a:83)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupManager.getGroup(GroupManager.java:278)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupManager.getGroup(GroupManager.java:257)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupCollection$UserIterator.getNextElement(Gro upCollection.java:103)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.group.GroupCollection$UserIterator.hasNext(GroupColle ction.java:66)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.RosterManager.getSharedGroups(RosterManager.ja va:162)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.(Roster.java:105)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.RosterManager.getRoster(RosterManager.java:86)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.user.User.getRoster(User.java:368)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQRosterHandler.manageRoster(IQRosterHandler. java:200)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQRosterHandler.handleIQ(IQRosterHandler.java :105)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:49)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:351)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:101)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:68)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processIQ(StanzaHandler.java:319)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processIQ(ClientStanzaHandler .java:79)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:284)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:176)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:133)

part of the xmpp standard is that login names be lowercase. openfire tries to translate this but it could lead to errors.