Jabber Search Problem

I have 3 Jabber servers running which are authenticating against AD. The users of each servrs are placed in location specific OUs which are set as the base DN for authentication purposes. I have two questions on this setup. Is there a way to esearch for all the users in the Domain using the search agent ? When the users of one server try to search for the users in the other server they get an error “Search Agent Could not be located” . What could be the issue here ?

Thanks

Bikoo

Hi Bikoo,

When you say you have three Jabber servers running and the search agent does that mean you’'re using Jive Messenger and the search plugin, respectively? If so, users on one instance of Messenger can search for users on another if you have enabled External Components (Server -> Server Settings) in the Admin Console.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi Ryang

As you suggested I had enabled the external components. But still the same error. “Could not contact the search agent”

Could you give me on the exact configurations for the external components that you suggested ?

Thanks

Bikoo

Hi Bikoo,

There wasn’'t much to configure.

I dropped the search.jar into the plugins directory of both servers, enabled the external compontents on each server, and then gave them the same shared password. I was then able to search for users on the remote machine with both Psi and Exodus. Which client are you using?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Rayang

I went through the entire process, but sill no success. FYI search in the same server is working perfectly, but cross server searches are not functioning.

I may sound silly, but while searching for the users I am using the search component of the second server in the search agent JID.

Does the Search agent depend on DNS ?

Thanks

Bikoo

Hi Bikoo,

I may sound silly, but while searching for the users

I am using the search component of the second server

in the search agent JID.

Yes. For instance, if you’'re using Exodus and signed in as user@jm0, and you want to search for users on jm1, the search agent would be search.jm1.

Does the Search agent depend on DNS ?

Sort of, you need be able to reach the server that you’'re trying to do the search on.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryang

Everything seems to be OK, but still the cross Server searches does not work. The debug XML OP of Exodous looks like this

SENT:

RECV:

RECV: The following fields are available for search. Wildcard (**) characters are allowed as part the of query.

Seems that the Server is returning a “Not Implimented” in response to a remote search

Hi Bikoo,

Everything seems to be OK, but still the cross

Server searches does not work. The debug XML OP of

Exodous looks like this

SENT: <iq id=“jcl_47” to=“search.jabber.****.com”

type=“get”>

RECV: <iq type=“error” id=“jcl_47”

from=“search.jabber.****.com”

to=“8888@im.****.com/Exodus”><query

xmlns=“jabber:iq:search”/><error code=“501”

type=“cancel”><feature-not-implemented

xmlns=“urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas”/><

/iq>

Ok, that’‘s the same traffic I was seeing prior to turning on the external component service. It looks like you’‘re using subdomains and I’‘m wondering if that is causing the problem. Unfortunately, I don’'t have a way to simulate that type of network environment, so figuring out a solution is going to be difficult. Can anyone else try searching on a remote server and see if they have the same issue?

Thanks,

Ryan