Java.lang.NullPointerException problem

Hi,

Been using 2.1.0 since it was released. Great stuff until this afternoon. After restarting the machine on which Messenger lives, no-one could connect.

The following is what appears in the error log after a client connection attempt:

2005.02.09 15:51:47 org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQAuthHandler.handleIQ(IQAuthHandler.java:143 ) Error handling authentication IQ packet

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.AuthFactory.createDigest(AuthFactory.java:133)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.DefaultAuthProvider.authenticate(DefaultAuthPro vider.java:104)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.AuthFactory.authenticate(AuthFactory.java:121)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQAuthHandler.login(IQAuthHandler.java:183)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQAuthHandler.handleIQ(IQAuthHandler.java:12 2)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:192)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:74)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.readStream(SocketReadThread.jav a:207)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.run(SocketReadThread.java:109)

The client (in this case Psi), just sits there waiting for a response from the server. The following is the XML debug output from Psi:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<stream:stream xmlns:stream=“http://etherx.jabber.org/streams” xmlns=“jabber:client” to=“listawood.com” >

<?xml version=''1.0'' encoding=''UTF-8''?>

jason.mcclean

jason.mcclean

jason.mcclean

xxxxxxxxxx <==I put the XXXs in

Psi

The debug option in the admin console just shows the intial connection and disconnect when I put the client out of its misery.

The warn log shows nothing and the info log states that everything started up OK.

Any ideas? I’‘m stumped. I’'ve also downloaded 2.1.1 in the hope that the newer version would sort the problem - no luck though.:frowning:

Jason.

Message was edited by:

Jason McClean

Call me thick (not all at once!). It was a database connection thing. Strange that it had never happened before.

The server was trying to connect to the local MySQL server as mydbuser@localhost.localdomain. This was the only combination (@localhost @% etc.) that I hadn’'t setup.

Anyone have any idea why this wasn’‘t apparent previous to my machine restart today? I’‘ve carried out other restarts (but not very often - good ol’’ Tux), with no problems with Messenger.

Oh well, problem sorted! Do I get points for answering my own question?

Jason.