Java Memory and error message

Good morning!

As per the suggestion made here (http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=118219&#118219), I did exactly what I was told and uncommented the INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS= line, adding the extra text as suggested. The outcome didn’'t improve the memory issue, and I also read the following note:

./wildfire: line 10: -Xms32m -Xmx256m -XX:PermSize=35m

-XX:MaxPermSize=70m -verbose:gc

-XX:*PrintGCDetails -XX:*PrintGCTimeStamps

-Xloggc:/logs/gc.log: No such file or directory

Wildfire didn’‘t blink, of course… it’‘s still running fine, and everyone’‘s using it, but the Java Memory threshold is still sitting at 64mb, and I’'m adding more users daily. Is there any way to explain why I saw this result?

OR… I have also noticed during related searches about upping the memory, that it can be done by simply uncommenting the same line and adding an -xmx256m behind it. Is that a simpler solution?

Thanks, Eric

Hi,

your start script should look like this, whatever parameters you use (-XmxNNNm is the important one):

LG

#! /bin/sh

INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS=’’-Xms32m -Xmx128m -Xss128k -Xoss128k -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -XX:*PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:*PrintGCDetails -Xloggc:/home/jive/wildfire/logs/gc.log -Xprof’’

1. Uncomment the following line to override the JVM search sequence

2. INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE=

3. Uncomment the following line to add additional VM parameters

4. INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS=

LG

Just try using this:

INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS="-Xms32m -Xmx256m"[/code]

Hi Eric.

the logs entry is for obvious logging. If you want you can take this part of the line out. How much memory do you have available when you are using wildfire? and have you looked in your bin/nohup.out file to see if there is anything in there?

Wildfire is probably ignring the line entry due to the log error. take it out, and try it again.

Jeff

Actually, the error is that he’‘s just putting the parameters on a line by themselves, and bash is rejecting it as an unknown command. Wildfire isn’‘t rejected it, it’‘s the shell that’'s kicking that line out.

Ok. Well either way, I would like to revise it and say that the -“Xms32m -Xmx256m” entry alone will fix his problem as you above said…

Jeff

Message was edited by: jeff_garner

That was exactly the ticket, mang. When I read the original post, I did type in that line exactly as it appeared (with a return at the end of each line). Now that the simpler choice of the two has proven successful, let me ask a couple of other things:

1. What does the remainder of the original command mean?

2. Should the entire original command have been on the same line, after the “INSTALL4J_ADD_PARAMS” line?

1. Log File info

2. yes directly after the = you should have this (make yours look exactly like this:

INSTALL4J_ADD_PARAMS=-“Xms=32m -Xmx=256m”

and you should be fine.

To let you know though, there were not returns in the command. The only was at the end of the full command.

Jeff

Message was edited by: jeff_garner

Actually, I would recommend that you don’'t make yours look exactly like what jeff said.

The leading dash should be inside the double-quotes, like this:

INSTALL4J_ADD_PARAMS="-Xms=32m -Xmx=256m"[/code]

Not this:

INSTALL4J_ADD_PARAMS=-“Xms=32m -Xmx=256m”[/code]