Jdk 1.5?

Downloading the source I initially noticed many, many objects that don’‘t even leverage advantages and improved functionality provided by the JDK 1.4, which I thought I’'d go in and fix to make the code more clean and clear.

Shortly after looking through the code then going to compile, it complains about needing the JDK 1.5. After a bit of digging, it looks like the primary reason that the 1.5 JDK is being used is to leverage Generics and a handful of annotations.

Being the slightly conservative coder (since I’‘m working on 1.4 for work reasons) that I am I’'ll be working against the 1.4 JDK for probably another 6 months or so while the major bugs get kicked out. So have fun everyone, I might be back in 6 months.

Coilcore,

The reasons 1.5 is being used:

• SASL is built into 1.5

• SSLEngine will be required to make stream negotiation work.

• NIO is buggy in 1.4, so we’'ll need 1.5 to switch to NIO.

It’‘s very true that nothing in the current codebase strictly requires the use of 1.5. However, we’'ll be be needing the features in the near future so decided to require 1.5 for the entire 2.0 series.

Regards,

Matt

Downloading the source I initially noticed many, many

objects that don’'t even leverage advantages and

improved functionality provided by the JDK 1.4, which

I thought I’'d go in and fix to make the code more

clean and clear.

BTW, do you have specific feedback about those areas? We’'ve already done much cleaning of the codebase, but there remains a lot of work to be done.

Regards,

Matt

I dug a little deeper and there are actually not as many places that 1.4 is not being taken advantage of, I made some quick impression judgements that were not accurate.

Requiring 1.5 screws most Mac developers in the near term. JDK1.4.2 is the highest version that is installed standard on a Mac. I’'ve heard that higher JDKs can work, but it is a hassle. I would love it if it were possible to build 2.0 under JDK1.4.2.

I was really happy with the JiveMessenger1.1 MacOSX installer. Is it possible to reestablish this 1.1 download until the Mac catches up with JiveMessenger2.0?

We are in the middle of an XMPP project and the link to 1.1 suddenly went away last week.

Thanks for your attention.

Bud,

We can add back the Messenger 1.1 downloads – we’‘ll try to get them up early this week. Unfortunately, it won’'t be possible to make Messenger 2.0 JDK 1.4.2 compatible. That means that Mac developers will be a bit out in the cold until Tiger is released.

Regards,

Matt

Having the Messenger 1.1 downloads available (especially the nice MacOSX one) will be great. I think we’‘ll need the Solaris version for 1.1, also, if there is such a thing, because we’'re also installing on a Solaris machine with JDK 1.4.0.

You guys have done a great job with Smack and JiveMessenger.

thanks

Has anyone tried Retro Weaver for getting JDK 5.0 code to run in 1.4? From IBM’'s AIX java webpage:

Retroweaver postprocesses the bytecode output of the

JDK 5.0 javac compiler, allowing you to execute code

which uses generics and other JDK 5.0 language

improvements on JDK 1.4 JVMs.

http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/

This may be the only option for non-J2SE 5.0 platforms for the time being.

Has anyone tried Retro Weaver for getting JDK 5.0

code to run in 1.4? From IBM’'s AIX java webpage:

Retroweaver postprocesses the bytecode output

tput of the

JDK 5.0 javac compiler, allowing you to execute

cute code

which uses generics and other JDK 5.0 language

improvements on JDK 1.4 JVMs.

http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/

This may be the only option for non-J2SE 5.0

platforms for the time being.

If anyone gets a chance to test this, we’'d love to hear how it works!

Regards,

Matt