JEP-0114 Support

Am I right in assuming that the JM Plugins are meant to run in the same JV as Messenger and do not implement JEP-0114 (Jabber Component Protocol)? Has there been discussion about or around JEP-0114? I’'ve been playing with PyAIM-t on my home jabberd2 server and wondered how hard would it be to hack JEP-0114 support into JM?

I would expect it would be easier after the changes needed for routing external packets (s2s) is complete, but thought I would bring up the subject now, figuring it might influence the design for s2s. (If this is seen as worthwhile idea…)

Hi cjackson,

Messenger will have two types of components, internal and external. Messenger 2.1.2 has support of internal components that run in the same JVM as Messenger. External components are currently being worked on, JM-5.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thanks! I should remember to browse the javadocs 1st:

org.jivesoftware.messenger.ComponentSession

I would expect it would be easier after the changes

needed for routing external packets (s2s) is

complete, but thought I would bring up the subject

now, figuring it might influence the design for s2s.

(If this is seen as worthwhile idea…)

Yep, Gato has been working on component support recently and a lot of the changes being made for external components will apply directly to s2s. Full s2s support will require some extra stuff like dialback, sasl, etc, but the core routing problem is basically the same as external components.

-Matt

Hey Chris,

The 2.1.2 version of Messenger includes an initial support for external components as you have found in the documentation. The work is not complete yet and I haven’'t tried connecting an external component to Messenger but it may work. Let me know how it goes if you try connecting a real external component.

I’'m planning to continue working on external components and s2s so let me know if you find any problem.

Thanks,

– Gato