Jive 1.0 Group Chat Client Beta Testers

Hi All,

We are looking for beta testers for our commerical group chat web based client. If you would like to participate, feel free to download the app from the following links.

http://liveassist.jivesoftware.com/chat/beta/jive_group_chat_1_0_beta.tar.gz

http://liveassist.jivesoftware.com/chat/beta/jive_group_chat_1_0_beta.zip

Any feedback from the community would be great.

Thank You,

Derek

If there are any features that you feel the group chat client is missing, please let me know as early as possible in order to get them in before code freeze :).

Thanks again,

Derek

I still have a problem with the blank screen after entering a room. this with tomcat 5.

Message was edited by:

roymurray

I’'m unable to download either client - are they still available? I get a file not found error.

Thanks,

Andras

Hi All,

We are starting a second round of beta testing for the webclient. If you would like to participate, feel free to download the newest app from the following links.

http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/messenger/jive_group_chat_1_0_beta.zip

http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/messenger/jive_group_chat_1_0_beta.tar.gz

Any feedback from the community would be great.

Thank You,

Derek

Hi Roy,

I’'m looking at this right now :).

-D

Hi Roy,

I just tested with Tomcat 5.5.9 without any issues. I’'m curious if this could be a room configuration issue. Is it password protected maybe or members only?

I tryed both as a guest to enter the public non members room, and as a member trying to enter any room. I tryed with the the new beta just released.

Apache Tomcat/5.0.28 1.5.0_03-b07 Sun Microsystems Inc. Linux 2.4.22-26mdk i386

Im not sure if it something with my tomcat setup, but the examples and other java works.

Tomcat is running on port 8080 and is not hooked to the regular apache server on port 80 if that would make any differeance,

Jive Messenger is is running on its own (installed from rpm) with the included java. Cound this be the difference. I’'m still running Jive Messenger 2.1.5 but will soon upgrade to the new 2.2, at that time I could go with the source.

something I just noticed is in Jive messenger admin panel under sessions all the sessions with connections from the groupchat client are from the server ip like: Anonymous cab5f7bc Authenticated Online 192.168.2.50 (guest)

webmaster Smack Authenticated Online 192.168.2.50 (has account)

rather then:

pk Just another jabber client Authenticated Online 24.173.xxx.xxx (edited)

I tryed with inband Enabled and Disabled - Disabled is what I want and Anonymous Enabled and Disabled and all possible combinations I want it enabled.

Will it work properly with a proxy firewall?

It should work fine through a proxy firewall as long as the app server you are running is behind the same firewall. It only uses http to communicate via the server, so you should have no problem.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone installed the groupchat.war file using Plesk? The server I’‘m using has Plesk and support for Java applications via Tomcat. If I’‘m not mistaken, it’‘s Tomcat 4. It’‘s also using version 1.4.2 of Sun’‘s JDK to run everything (as best as I can tell, I’‘ve never deployed a Java application like this before). However, when I go to the URL plesk gives me to access the groupchat client, it just presents me with a blank page and nothing more. I don’‘t see any errors in the logs. Any ideas? Does the groupchat beta client require Sun’'s 1.5 version of the Java stuffs? Thanks!

Will the group chat client work only with Jive Messenger or will it work with other servers like ejabberd?

blank page after you pick a room? did you install Jive Messenger?

No, blank page when I go to the address where the Java client should be. Unless I’‘m doing something wrong. Once it’‘s installed, it’'s supposed to be accessible from http://my.server.com:9080/groupchat (port 9080 is apparently where tomcat is running). If I go to that address I simply get a blank page.

I also have JM installed and it’'s working perfectly (using it with other clients at the moment).

Will the group chat client work only with Jive

Messenger or will it work with other servers like

ejabberd?

So far, we’'ve only tested with JM. It should work fine with other servers, as long as those servers support anonymous connections the same way JM does. Once we move over to SASL-anonymous the support should become more universal.

Regards,

Matt

try port 8080

Message was edited by:

roymurray

Well, Plesk (since that’‘s what I’'m using to set up the Java applet/servelet/whatever) is saying it should be on port 9080. I can go to 8080 and get a Tomcat page, but I also get Tomcat error pages if I go to anything on 9080 that is invalid. Will the JM Group Chat client work with Tomcat4? Or does it require Tomcat5?

Okay, I finally found some logs for tomcat and it seems I’‘m getting an out of memory error from Java when I try to load the applet. Here’'s an excerpt of the logs …

StandardHost[jabber.myserver.com]: MAPPING configuration error for request URI /groupchat.war

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread

at java.lang.Thread.start(Native Method)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection.start(Unknown Sourc

e)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

I’‘m very new to Java applets/servelets, tomcat, etc. What does this mean? I have plenty of RAM available. Perhaps the groupchat.war is asking for more RAM than my JRE is configured to give it? Keep in mind that this is tomcat4 and Sun’‘s JRE version 1.4.2. While I have Java5 to run Jive, I don’‘t have it installed system-wide to work with tomcat, and I’'m not sure I can make tomcat use something other than the system default.

We are very interested in using this software commercially. Where can I find out about the licensing terms? Also, are there any show stopper bugs?

We also need to know how to do a few things to integrate the product into our web site. Is there a way to dump a user directly into a chat room, circumventing the login page and room selection page? Also, it doesn’'t seem like branding will be very difficult, but if there are any pointers that could save us some pain, we would appreciate it.

Thanks,

jim

I upgraded to jive_messenger2_2_0_beta not using the builtin java, but the java server, restarted tomcat and found out the groupchat beta expired.