Jive Messenger 1.0!

Hey all,

Jive Messenger 1.0 has been released and is available in the downloads area.

Regards,

Matt

Matt,

Hi. This is my first time I play with this software. I have downloaded and installed jive_messenger_1_0_0_win.exe. Afterwards I launched Jive Messenger and a launcher popped up (together with a DOS window when I press start). I have a problem when I press the Launch Admin button. A DOS window appears for a second (then it closes) and a browser is opened on http://127.0.0.1:9090/ receiving a “The page cannot be displayed” message.

I don’‘t have access to the source code but I suspect that the second DOS window was supposed to start an appserver listening at 9090. Since this window shuts down the appserver doesn’'t start (I checked for any service listening at the port 9090 and found none).

I will later spend more time to see what’'s going on (may be I will try a manual installation). If you have any solution please let me know.

TIA,

– Gato

Gato,

Any chance you’‘re using JDK 1.3? If so, you need to copy a few JAR files into a lib directory as described in the install guide. We’‘re planning on making on including automatic JDK 1.3 detection and library setup in an upcoming release. Also, what OS are you? We’‘ve never seen DOS windows pop up before so I’'m curious to know why that happens on your machine. Finally, you may wish to look at the logs directory inside the messenger installation folder – there should be some error messages as to why the server startup failed.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Any chance you’'re using JDK 1.3? If so, you need to

copy a few JAR files into a lib directory as

described in the install guide.

You are right. I’'m using JDK 1.3.1_06. I will look at the installation guide for more information about those JAR files.

We’'re planning on

making on including automatic JDK 1.3 detection and

library setup in an upcoming release.

Good idea!!!

Also, what OS

are you? We’'ve never seen DOS windows pop up before

so I’'m curious to know why that happens on your

machine.

:-). I’‘m using Win XP. May be may explanation wasn’‘t clear enough. By DOS window I refer to a window similar to the Command Prompt (but this one doesn’'t have a prompt). If you want I can send you by email a print screen of the window.

Finally, you may wish to look at the logs

directory inside the messenger installation folder –

there should be some error messages as to why the

server startup failed.

I tried that but the error logs are empty. I only have entries at embedded-web.log and jive.info.log.

Regards,

– Gato

Matt,

I tried to install it again (at home this time) and found the following errors:

1. A resource bundle error that prevented the ServerStarter to start up. Error detail follows
[com.jivesoftware.container.spi.BootstrapContainer.start(BootstrapContainer.java:135)] java.util.MissingResourceException: Can''t find bundle for base name jive_i18n, locale es_ES
     at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:804)
     at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:694)
     at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:538)
     at com.jivesoftware.util.LocaleUtils.getLocalizedString(LocaleUtils.java:227)
     at com.jivesoftware.util.LocaleUtils.getLocalizedString(LocaleUtils.java:171)
     at com.jivesoftware.container.spi.BootstrapContainer.loadCorePlugins(BootstrapContainer.java:192)

After changing the OS locale to USA everything went smoothly. At home I’'m using JDK 1.4. I have to check which OS locale my other PC at work was using.

BTW, if you want I can translate this resources also into Spanish.

1. During the setup I changed the password but when I tried to log in later I found out it hasn’‘t changed. May be there is an error or may be I need to go to sleep (it’'s too late here)

2. The password is not encrypted in the DB.

Regards,

– Gato

Gato,

Thanks for all your feedback. We’'ll be making a 1.0.1 release this week to address the issues that you and others have found. On your specific points:

1. Looks like we misnamed the bundle so that it was only English. A Spanish translation would be excellent. However, you may want to hold off until the next release, as I believe we need to verify that the resource bundles are fully ready to translate.

2. We’'ll look into this bug.

3. This is intentional so that more advanced password hashing and encryption could be done between XMPP clients and the server besides plain text. We decided this was the more important place to have stronger security for now. One option is to use any encryption that your database supports. Another option is that we could do manual encryption and decryption of the passwords in the database and store the secret key in the messenger config file. I’‘m not sure that’‘s all that much better security, but it would make cracking the db a bit tougher. I’'d just be worried about the secret key getting lost, though.

Regards,

Matt