Jive Messenger 2.1.1 Released

Hey all,

Jive Messenger 2.1.1 has been released. There are some good bug fixes in this release. Most importantly, the Linux install process is smoother and better documented and there have been many fixes to the shared groups feature.

The download page has been re-organized a bit:

• Source releases are now on the source page instead of the downloads page.

• The .zip binary build has been removed in favor of the GUI installer.

Changelog at: http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/messenger/docs/latest/changelog.html

Regards,

Matt

downloading:)

The upgrade procedure from 2.1 is… ? If it’'s just run setup then please say so. Too many OSS projects completely overlook this (ehm mozilla) at the expense of time and resources.

One thing that would really help people IMHO would be to break out the documentation from the main install program since you’‘re really asking people to install the program without the docs. I applogize if this is already the case, but I couldn’'t find a separate documentation download.

i think it’'s a good point about documentation. If i need only to update program, so why i have to download all stuff again (maybe with slight changes, but the same stuff). maybe some different versions of installs could be implemented, though it could look messy in download page. Pff…:slight_smile: i like the way GIMP is making packages (gimp, aniamtion pack, gtk, help - all separated packages, so if changes are done to gimp, you dont have to download all other packages).

And i wanted to ask about JRE folder in JM folder. Do i really need this if i have Java installed? maybe i’'m wrong, but it looks exactly the same as bin and lib folders in Java installation. And it takes 60Mb of space (and some big part of install). Not really much, but…

Hey guys,

Some explicit upgrade documentation would be a good thing. The Windows installer is the simplest case – just run it and install over the existing directory and it will handle the rest. I’'m not sure about Linux but will look into it.

i think it’'s a good point about documentation. If i

need only to update program, so why i have to

download all stuff again (maybe with slight changes,

but the same stuff). maybe some different versions of

installs could be implemented, though it could look

messy in download page. Pff…:slight_smile: i like the way GIMP

is making packages (gimp, aniamtion pack, gtk, help -

all separated packages, so if changes are done to

gimp, you dont have to download all other packages).

This might be possible in the future. We’'ll have to think about different options.

And i wanted to ask about JRE folder in JM folder. Do

i really need this if i have Java installed? maybe

i’'m wrong, but it looks exactly the same as bin and

lib folders in Java installation. And it takes 60Mb

of space (and some big part of install). Not really

much, but…

For every user that already has Java 5 installed and configured correctly, there are probably 10 that don’'t. Including the JRE in the exe and rpm greatly simplifies the install and decreases the support burden.

If you already have Java 5 installed and don’'t want to use the bundled JRE, you can simply delete the jre directory. The scripts to start the app will then look for Java in a few well-known places.

Regards,

Matt