Jive messenger as chat room server

i am interested in using jive messenger just as a chat server and i have some questions about how it works (looked around for information like this and could not find it. apologies if this stuff is obvious to you (grin).):

how does it maintain its user database?

can i integrate it into tomcat/jsp for exclusive use through a browser and maybe gets its user login information from nicely crafted session information and redirects, etc?

what happens on the client side for a web app like this? does it require java?

can i make it so that no chat rooms exist unless a moderator creates one?

can i make it so that transcripts of the chat are stored for every room, every time?

thanks.

how does it maintain its user database?[/b]

It’'s typically stored in a database, but you can integrate it with Active Directory.

can i integrate it into tomcat/jsp for exclusive use through a browser and maybe gets its user login information from nicely crafted session information and redirects, etc?

/b

You could deploy the server behind your web “front” and use something like JWchat (http://jwchat.sourceforge.net/) with modifications to only talk to your server.

what happens on the client side for a web app like this? does it require java?[/b]

JWChat doesn’‘t require java, it’'s based on the browser. Most apps are written in C/C++. There are java version available, it really depends on the preference of the user.

can i make it so that no chat rooms exist unless a moderator creates one?[/b]

I believe so, it’'s configurable from the admin console…install messenger and see.

can i make it so that transcripts of the chat are stored for every room, every time?[/b]

This may be out of the box, otherwise a plugin can be written to do this. In addition, client software does provide this functionality.

Hope this helps,

Noah

can i make it so that no chat rooms exist unless a moderator creates one?[/b]

Yes, you can, under the Group Chat -> Room Creation Permissions page.

can i make it so that transcripts of the chat are stored for every room, every time?[/b]

If you enable Log Room Conversations, the chat logs will be saved to the mucConversationLog table in the database. The chats are identified by roomID, there is a separate table (mucRoom) that links RoomID to chat name. As of ver 2.4.3, there is no page within wildfire admin that displays the logs, but if you know how to program for the database you’‘re running (MSSQL for me) then it’'s trivial to access the logs.