Jive Messenger Name -- Change it?

I also agree that Messenger is a bad name, mostly because people associate it with ‘‘The’’ messenger.

Spark sounds good as it’'s easy to pronounce and sounds well in the middle of the sentence. E.g. “…and then we can set up a tunnel, so the support guys could use spark to talk to the customers.”

Ignite doesn’‘t sound that good. I’‘m not sure why, but I guess that one of the reasons is that it’‘s not a noun. It sounds clumsy if you say "we’'re going to run 3 ignites, one for every environment…" You have to say ‘‘ignite server’’ or ‘‘ignite instance’’, which is a bit too much.

So, after all these analyses here is my name proposal: ‘‘flintstone’’ (you know the kind that makes sparks). Sounds ok in the middle a sentence and if you have multiple instances you can name them fred, willma, dino, etc. this paragraph is meant as a joke[/i]

I agree with nearly everyone that I think a name change is in order. ‘‘Messenger’’ was always confusing, since it sounds like a client.

I would suggest NOT going with Ignite, if for no other reason except that those with non-native english speakers seem to have trouble with it.

I know I’‘m boring, but I never have a problem with boring descriptive names. Such as “Jive IM Server” (yes, I know that name will get zero votes, even if I like it). Barring that, something like “Blaze IM Server” or somesuch (I know I’'m kinda stuck on getting ‘‘Server’’ in there, just so people know what it is).

-Rick

Good point ddimitro. A noun works much better in speech than a verb. That would make ignite -> ignition server, which to me doesn’‘t work right (it sounds more like a system meant to run my car’'s engine).

Careful… I think HP (UX) might have some copyright on their “Ignite” system for their servers… of course i could be wrong and often am.

JiveWire Server with JiveSoda Client :stuck_out_tongue:

JiveWire server with Carbon client (as in carbonation, which is too long).

Sparks do travel along wires, don’'t they?

It may have already been mentioned, but what about renaming Jive Messenger to Flash IM Server?

Flash = commercial product by Macromedia (now Adobe?). There are probably some copyright or trademark issues there in addition to branding confusion.

kzantow, yeah… I realized that after I posted… but the name sounds ok…

Don’'t know how the none english folks will like it, but what about Ember IM Server