Jive Messenger Name Change Poll

One of Inferno’‘s meanings is Hell. You don’'t want to name a product after Hell.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=inferno

It looks like someone has TM’'d Ignite for Java already: http://www.confio.com/English/Products/Ignite_for_Java.php

I wonder how many of these ‘‘ignite’’ related products are copyrighted: http://www.google.com/search?q=ignite+copyright

I never knew so many companies have the word “Ignite” in their title.

One of the things I saw posted was the grammer issue.

You know some people (not me not me!) sometimes establish product names with alterations to a normal name spelling. It’'s similar to people spelling their name differently than established norms.

For example, Mike and Myke, or Cindy and Cyndi.

So, it’'s possible you could get Jyve, Fyre, etc…

Just more gunk to throw in the party mix

How about calling the server “Inferno” Inferno Server sounds a bit odd, but Inferno by itself sounds powerful and all-encompassing.

Following Igor’'s guide to naming Inferno would be an Evocative name…

• Digital Equipment = functional

• Gateway = experiential

• Apple = positioning (Evocative)

But what people miss about evocative names is the relation of the name to the product. Overcoming the uniqueness of the name to product relationship will require a lot of marketing in order to establish a brand recognition. It’'s a tough road to go.

However taking a page from the marketing book of Micro$oft, I personally despise the functional names.

eg.

A word processing program - Word

A window based GUI operating system - Windows

A desktop publishing program - Publisher

But they did come up with some powerful experimental names.

eg.

A slide show presentation program - PowerPoint

An email and PIM program - Outlook

An email and PIM server - Exchange

As you can see, some of their best names and undisputed names are experimentals, that both have a noun and verb aspect.

So now that I’‘ve preached about how to come up with names, here are a couple that I’'ve thought of:

argot

jargon

palaver

touch base

My personal preference is Palaver. It’'s both a noun and a verb, it means chatter / talk, it starts with P which is refered to as a power letter, and is 3 or less sylables.

There are very few hits on goolge: palaver software, however most domains are gone for just palaver.

More later

Peter

Acronyms are abused, but what about JCP: Jive Communications Platform or something similar? This would keep it simple in terms of naming (It’'s made by Jive Software) but add the functional name (Communications Platform) and have a catchy acronym (JCP). It can probably be trademarked too.

Message was edited by:

azink

You could just call it Spark IM Server and Spark IM Client…

Thats what the guys over at Coversant did… the server and client have the same name ‘‘SoapBox’’

ChatwithMe Server :stuck_out_tongue:

Jeyev (ha! J “I” Ve)… we’'ve got the EYE on you…

Ok it’'s still early…

I’'ll hide now

I would like to alert you all for something very important, I have nothing against the name Ignite itself, but it is very hard to pronounce it from non native English like me. I am from Brazil, you may ask other foreigners about it. I suppose the plan is changing the product name and not the company’s. From my point of view Jive is a very cool name easy to pronounce and remember. I suggest trying to combine it with something like they did at jabber.com (XPC) or antepo.com (OPN).

Regards

Joao

So… if i think jabber, but more fancy, i get loquacious

now noun-ify it…

Loquacion Server, Loquation IM, just plain old Loquation

Pros:

it’'s a made up word (according to dictionary.com), yet its root definition lends itself to the product

it’‘s a madeup word, so there’'s no pre-existing definition/reputation to overcome

google returns a mere 5 results for it (none remotely relevant)

.com .net .org are all open

the phonic reference to location has a nice presence tie-in

Cons:

uhhh. you tell me

jerm

I vote for A.

Choice A is better, in my opinion… Definately matches the Spark client name better than the other choice.

Glenn

You could just call it Spark IM Server and Spark IM

Client…

Thats what the guys over at Coversant did… the

server and client have the same name ‘‘SoapBox’’

You could be on to something there!

You could just call it Spark IM Server and Spark IM Client…

and we could all Spark up a conversation… Ok it was a bad joke…

But the name is starting to grow on me.

I say we put it on the A list.

Peter

Spark IM Client… SIMC! Spark IM Server SIMS! Oh oh… heh…

CSpark SSpark… Client Spark Server Spark… C Spark run… go Spark go!

Sparky and Sparkler?

I think i need my caffeine…

Hey have a look at the SVN comments (revision 3229 specificly)

Hey have a look at the SVN comments (revision 3229 specificly)

I don’'t wanna so nyah nyah nyah!

hahahaha

Someone has mentioned that Ignite is hard to pronounce for non-english. Yes, i think so. I’‘m not sure but it seems that in russian it pronounces like a man’'s name. I like my own variant of it: Ignis

though if i have to choose i’'ll prefer A. Wildfire sounds a little plain/banal, imho

P.S. Wroot’'s Favorite - the best one

Hey all,

I just wanted to post a follow-up in this thread. We greatly appreciated everyone’‘s feedback. At the end of the day, we had to nix Ignite as a name due to trademark issues. All of us here at Jive also love the name Wildfire. So, I know the choice isn’‘t everybody’‘s favorite, but I hope you’'ll all grow to love it as well.

Regards,

Matt

So, I know the choice isn’‘t everybody’‘s favorite, but I hope you’'ll all grow to love it as well.

It’'ll grow on me like a WEED.

Dang, I wanted last post in the Jive Messenger forum… darn!

Following the theme… maybe admin console should be renamed to “Smokey” like Smokey the Bear :stuck_out_tongue:

do and change whatever you want, just leave Admin Console colors and design the same!!

do and change whatever you want, just leave Admin Console colors and design the same!!

I’'m thinking of making it hard for people from Vilnius to work with… what do you think?