Jive Messenger need a server to support or without server?

I want to know , Jive Messenger need a server to support or without server ? if need server, I didn’'t see the server side coding download.

Edward,

Jive Messenger is a standalone application – you don’'t need any other software to get it running.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks, Matt,

As you know, IM has two modes, one is server-client, here one computer just act as server. Another mode is , each computer node is server and client at same time.

I have downloaded your Jive Messagener source code, I realize there is instruction for server, I don’'t find the client coding. And you just give one exe file for download, that exe file is for server or client ?

Regards.

Edward

If you’'re interested in a client library, check out Smack, our Open Source client library for XMPP.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks, Matt,

I got it. That mean we have to develop our custom java swing app to be a client. Do you have any client / server examples for us to have a taste how Jive Messenger look like ?

Regards

Edward

Maybe I don’'t get your point, but - Jive is “just” an implementation of a XMPP server. You could connect with any XMPP (read: Everything that supports “Jabber” should do the trick -> Exodus, Gaim, Psi, Gabber) client and give it a try.

So you don’‘t have to write your own client. You can do that, if you need special features or if you want a customized “company IM client” or whatever. But it’'s just an option - not neccessary…

maybe it’‘s a name what’'s confusing a little. Jive Messenger means not a client for IM, but a server for IM. As Benjamin said, you can use any jabber/xmpp compatible client (instant messenger) with Jive Messenger. And you can write your own app if you like. Smack could help you a lot in new client developing. Smack is the base for jabber/xmpp client.

If you want to know how Jive Messenger looks. Just install it, run it, connect to admin console with your browser (http://localhost:9090), setup it, enjoy GUI:) And for real-work testing take one client (Psi, Exodus etc., more clients: http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml). Install client, run it, create account, connect to server. That’'s all:) good luck:)

I got the points. Thanks for all your guys.

Regards

Edward