Jive Messenger supported protocol list

Hi,

I’‘m comparing jabber servers atm and I think it’‘s a good idea to put up a page of what protocols Jive Messenger support. It’'s good for people who are comparing jabber servers and for plugin developers wanting to know what plugin they can or should write and what services are available to them.

If such thing exist already, kindly point me to the right direction.

Cheers,

jmalonzo,

There was acutally a page for this on the jabber.org website, although it’'s broken at the moment. Clicking the server names on this page used to take you to some details about features supported:

http://www.jabber.org/software/servers.shtml

However, I agree that it would be great to have a page on the Jive Messenger website that provided details about JEP support. We’‘ll take this as an internal to-do. In the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions about what’'s supported.

Regards,

Matt

matt,

Thanks. A page of supported JEPs will surely be helpful. Is it possible if you can provide me a list of JEPs that jive messenger supports? txt format will be fine.

Thank you very much.

Ok, here’‘s my quick attempt at a list of currently supported JEPs. Note to those that might search and find this post in the future – this list won’‘t be maintained and shouldn’‘t be considered a definitive list, it’'s just a current snapshot.

• JEP-0004 Data Forms

• JEP-0030 Service Discovery

• JEP-0045 Multi-User Chat

• JEP-0049 Private XML Storage

• JEP-0054 vcard-temp

• JEP-0055 Jabber Search (supported via upcoming plugin from ryang)

• JEP-0077 In-Band Registration

• JEP-0078 Non-SASL Authentication

• JEP-0090 Entity Time

• JEP-0091 Delayed Delivery

• JEP-0092 Software Version

We’'re currently working on:

• JEP-0114 Jabber Component Protocol

And Jive Software has a commercial product that implements:

• JEP-0142 Workgroups

A few JEP’'s that it would be great to have support for:

• JEP-0050 Ad-Hoc Commands

• JEP-0124 HTTP Binding

• JEP-0133 Service Administration

Regards,

Matt

One I forgot to add to the list we’'d like to have support for in the future:

JEP-0060 Publish-Subscribe

-Matt

How about adding a getJEP() to Module and similar classes to have a self updating and describing feature list.

JEP could even be a separate class with version, description, url and fullyImplemented boolean.

Could be some nice metadata info to show in web admin.

Rob

Thanks Matt! Appreciate it.

areobe,

IMO, adding such “feature” in each module will just add maintenance overhead to the maintainers and developers. A table of supported JEPs should suffice, something like ejabberd’'s protocol list[1].

Cheers,

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/protocols

It was just a random thought to automate the documentation of supported features.

Granted it would be an extra step in development, but it would only have to be done once and wouldn’'t take much of an effort to fill in the blanks.

Something like ejabberd’'s protocol list could be generated automatically by Messenger reflecting the current in-code features without having to have someone maintain the protocol list seperately which may get out of sync with current development.

Regards,

Rob

Hi jmalonzo / areobe,

I think both approaches have merit. A potential issue with trying to automate things is that if/when a JEP is supported via a plugin that isn’‘t part of the default Messenger install it won’‘t be reflected in a getJEPs() method call, but maybe that’'s a non-issue. The nice thing about the table that jmalonzo referenced is that it shows in the comment field how JEPs that are not part of the core ejabberd server are supported.

Just my 2¢

Ryan

Hey all,

I filed JM-195 for this issue and created the document. It’'s in CVS now and will be in the 2.1.2 release. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Matt

Matt >> When is JEP-0114 supposed to be supported by Jive Messenger? Does some transport component already exist for JM?

Actually, JEP 114 is already supported unofficially in the nightly builds. We’'ll support it officially for the 2.2.0 release.

Regards,

Matt

Great news! So, I suppose JM can work with external components listed on http://www.jabber.org/software/components.shtml

Regards,

Seb

It should be possible, although we haven’'t done any testing yet. That will come over the next couple of weeks.

-Matt