Jive Messenger + Web client

Hi,

I’'m a postgraduate student at University College London currently developing a cross-linguistic IM implementing the Jabber protocols, and building on the Jive Messenger source.

Since I intend the IM client to be the browser, an implementation of JEP-0071 -XHTML-IM protocol, and since Jive’‘s live chat client’'s look-and-feel is superb, I was wondering if I can use its source as a base for my web client implementation.

Regards

jorge

jorge,

Please send me an email (address in my profile). Our web client is not Open Source but perhaps we can work out a way for you to extend it. JWChat also has a pure HTML client that you could look at.

Regards,

Matt

• It would be nice to have just one package that includes the Jabber server, the (web-based) Jabber client and some kind of (user-specific) chat room information web-pages (a kind of user/topic specific portal)

• Most users just need group chat, therefore a group chat client would be sufficient

• User shall be able to create and maintain their accounts (if enabled in Admin Registration)

• “User Summary” and “User Search” shall be available to normal users (not just to admins)

I’'ve created an OpenOffice Impress presentation which explains the details a bit better. Just a few JSP pages in JM need to be modified/added. Group Chat client is not yet available (took the commercial client from Jive Software as an example).

Regards

Michael

Michael,

I gave you permission to post attachments in case you’'d like to share your presentation with everyone.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi,

attached are two files the first “JM Portal” explaining the design/idea and “JM Implementation” showing the current result.

“Room Summary” shall at the end be like a portal to rooms (if number of rooms is too big it must be possible to group them).

Possible extensions:

1.) Summary page already has “Description” column. Add “Search for room(s)” based on “Room” and “Description”

2.) Add a hyperlink to the room JID for easy access.

3.) Add a symbol indicating that/if the room is password protected.

Hope this is useful

Michael
Jive Messenger Implementation.pdf (573824 Bytes)