Jive Setup Problems

I am wanting to setup Jive for a company IM and chat client. At least in its first incarnation the server will be only available to those on our private network. I was able to go thru the admin setup with seemingly no problem. I chose to use the latest version of Exodus as a chat client. To this point i have gotten no error messages. I first created two accounts by logging in through Exodus, and both of these clients appeared in the resident admin database. I could even add the other person as a ‘‘friend’’, but the status appears as “pending” by the name. I try to send messages to the other client and there is no response. But when i log back into Exodus the previous message is back logged. The admin utility shows both of the users as active when logged in. Now to my questions:

1. What should the Jive server name be? An IP address or netbios name? I initially used the IP address. Consequently our LAN uses a 192.168.x.x subnet.

2. In the Exodus Login Detail page:

a. Why does it only show jabber.org/com for the Jabber ID?

b. Under connection do i put the Netbios name or IP address?

c. Do i need to use proxy settings if it is all housed on the LAN? (We have both proxy and NAT running so would it matter?)

d. What is the resource? (home,work, exodus)

1. We use Wingate as our gateway and firewall app to the WAN. Does the chat traffic go through this gateway or does it stay internal? If it does, what firewall or port forwarding steps need to be taken?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your helping out a newb.

Matt

I don’‘t use exodus (i’‘m a miranda-im person) but i’'ll try a swing at some of your questions.

1: Depends on how your network is setup. If you do not have a DNS server, then the netbios name. If you have a DNS server, then the name of the server as it’'s recorded in the DNS record(s).

2.a: i’‘ll get back. i’'ll download Exodus

2b: read #1

2c: if you can ping the server from a client, i’'d not think proxy would be neccesary

2d: I’'d leave the resource as “Exodus” for now.

3: Do you plan on allowing remote WAN clients? if so, you’'ll have to pop a port (5222 TCP and if SSL 5223 TCP, default ports) (this is if i understand your network correctly)

Hope that helps some.

Downloaded a copy of Exodus:

2a: if you are referring to how the JID is displayed on the profile (login) window, that’'s representative of that account/server/resource.

For example i set up the following:

User: Exodus

Server: Jabber.servername.com

Resource: Exodus

the profile shows up as: Exodus@jabber.servername.com/Exodus

If this isn’'t what you are referring, just let me know.

Hey Toe,

Thanks so much for your time and willingness to take a look at Exodus.

I’'ll go down what you responded.

1. Our ISP does our DNS externally. So i used the netbios name.

2. We do not plan on using WAN clients at this time, but would certainly like to expand to that in the future.

2a. I changed my server to read as you delineated. And below are my Server Page settings. But now i get the error “The Jabber ID you entered (username@server/resource) is invald. Please enter a valid username, server and resource.” And the Exodus profile always shows up as "matt@jabber.org/Exodus". It never has the netbios name included.

+Server Uptime: Approx 5 minutes – started May 24, 2005 2:31:37 PM

Version: Jive Messenger 2.1.3

Messenger Home: C:\Program Files\Jive Messenger

Server Name: Jabber.nougat.com

Server Ports

1: IP:Port, Security: 192.168.34.2:5222, NORMAL

Domain Name(s): Jabber.nougat.com

Environment

JVM Version and Vendor: 1.5.0_02 Sun Microsystems Inc. – Java HotSpot™ Server VM

Appserver: Jetty/5.1.x

OS / Hardware: Windows 2003 / x86

Locale / Timezone: en / Eastern Standard Time (-5 GMT)

Java Memory

5.36 MB of 63.31 MB (8.5%) used+

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

what’'s the name of you computer-server? jabber.nougat.com? It must be in your DNS records or in hosts file in every client system. Simple way is to use its IP instead. Ex:

matt@192.168.34.2

You dont have to specify resource in username field. And, are you creating new account with Exodus or do accounts are already creted in Admin Console? Maybe i’'m misunderstanding you, just havent seen such error in Exodus - “invalid username”.