JiveMessenger performance testing tools

Hello everyone!

I couldn’'t find any relevant information about JM server performence nor any application dedicated to run such tests.

The only tool I have found to run stress tests is IDX-Tsunami, but this application is extremly user unfriendly and troublesome in configuration. Even using IDX support i couldn’'t run it on my system, so this approach turned out to be complete fiasco.

I have to perform reliable performance tests before running the server and design whole system architecture. Here are some details:

System is planned to be opened for 20 000 users with approximately 6000 concurrent users in the beginning … maybe more if it will gain popularity.

User catalogue is kept in local MySQL DB, and authentication is in AD catalog. Users are permitted to use only web based client - JWChat. Search engine is totaly excluded from server - there is dedicated service to perform search, so as vCard service - so all of this operations have absolutely no impact on overall server performance.

Communication between client and server is performed by binding connection with HTTPBind_Servlet_v0.3. And here is a trick. To make the whole application “compact” I have wrapped this servlet to the Jive Messenger Jetty Application server. The whole solution seems to work perfectly, but I haven’'t tested in on large load.

Can anyone help me? Can anyone have run some stress test on Jive Messenger? If so, what kind of tools you have used. How JiveSoftware team is testing the server performance? Please help …

Hey Sebastian,

The server should be able to handle 6K connections even though you may require to fine tune the server accordingly. Search this forum for information about fine tuning. In order to support much more scalability (> 100K) we created project Pampero but you will have to wait many months until we have our first release.

The way I test scalability of the server is by generating load using JUnit test cases using Smack or using Coversant’'s stress tool and running a profiling tool to detect bottlenecks or concurrency issues.

Let us know if you are running into performance issues.

Regards,

– Gato

Hey Gaston!

Thank you for prompt reply.

The server should be able to handle 6K connections

even though you may require to fine tune the server

accordingly.

So I assume, that the server architecture is prepared to handle such load. But can you give me also a hint as to hardware configuration? First installation is planned to be run on IBM x390 machine - 4 XEON 700 MHz processors + 2 GB of RAM. For now it is a blind shot, but I think it might be good for start. MySQL server will be installed on the very same server. Link to AD is 1GB LAN. Please let me know.

The operating system is Linux - Centos 4.0.

Let us know if you are running into performance issues.

I will let you know about any performance problems for sure.

Sebastian (Remus)

Message was edited by:

remus

The only tool I have found to run stress tests is

IDX-Tsunami, but this application is extremly user

unfriendly and troublesome in configuration. Even

using IDX support i couldn’'t run it on my system, so

this approach turned out to be complete fiasco.

Erlang REPOS also contains IDX-Tsunami and it might be easier:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/repos/

Can anyone help me? Can anyone have run some stress

test on Jive Messenger? If so, what kind of tools you

have used. How JiveSoftware team is testing the

server performance? Please help …

Another tool to benchmark is Jabsimul, but as this tool is much more limited (it can’'t be clustered to simulate a very high load test e.g.). Anyway, a good tutorial is available at:

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/benchmark