JM on Tomcat 5.5.9

Hi all,

Some news about JM built as a .war file with the “war” ant task of build.xml included in 2.1.5 sources:

As I said in my last posts, I’'ve managed to deploy and use JM as a webapp on tomcat 5.5 (using java 1.5), but the JM_HOME/conf/logs/error.log spreads since deployment to admin console login the following stack trace:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginMana ger.java:361)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$101 (Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.runPeriodi c(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknow n Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2005.07.31 20:45:27 [org.jivesoftware.messenger.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginMan ager.java:442)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// /////////////////////////

Could you help me please?

Thanks…

Alex

Hey Alex,

My quick guess is that your messenger home folder does not have a “plugins” folder in it. Could you check that?

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

You’'re right, my home directory do not contains a plugin directory…

What I have to do? Why this directory is not present but required at runtime?

Thanks for you reply…

Alex

Hey Alex,

Executing the war ant task should be generating this path/folder target\war\messengerHome\plugins. Were you using the generated messengerHome folder as your home folder or any other folder?

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

I’'m using the messengerHome in the war directory, I had to copy the plugin directory and the security directory… now its ok, but I always have the logger ClassCastException at start, and I dont understand why…

Alex

Hey Alex,

My guess is that you are using an old version of JM. In previous versions the war target existed but it was not generating the “plugins” folder nor the database and security folders. Could you try doing an update of all the project source code (including the build folder where build.xml resides)?.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi,

I’'ve tried to build JM from another sources : nightly builds : jive_messenger_src_2005-08-03.zip

=> the error about logger does not occured anymore! good!!

But, I still did not understand the relation between tomcat and resin! could you shortly explain me how to link resin with tomcat and why?

Thanks a lot for your help…

Alex

Hey Alex,

Glad to hear that the problem has been fixed with the latest version.

Sorry about the confusion with Tomcat and Resin. I meant to say that the installation process is almost similar with any of those servers. But there is no runtime relation between those 2 servers.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gaston,

I’'m glad to start Tomcat with no weird errors about loggers and ClassCastException!!!

Thanks for your answer about Resin too…

(I’'m going to change the state of my questions about Tomcat and loggers problem : the new build fix all my problems…)

Thank’'s again for your help…

Alex

fixed by build :“jive_messenger_src_2005-08-03.zip”