LDAP Authentication

Hi I am re installing OpenFire 3.9.3 as our previous version 3.8 crashed, have managed to get it to authenticate against the DC but when trying to add an admin user looking up in AD I keep getting the following error, I have tried different cobinations of entering the user name (surname.initial, this is how our users enter their credentials, have tried domain\username and even email address) but all come back with the same error:

Anyhelp on resolving this issue will save my bacon…

org.jivesoftware.openfire.user.UserNotFoundException: Username XXXXXXXXX not found

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:985)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:911)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp._jspServ ice(setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp.java:176)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1359)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1330)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:74)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1330)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:164)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:478)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:520)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:22 7)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:94 1)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:409)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:875 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler Collection.java:250)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.jav a:149)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:349)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:441)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.j ava:936)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:801)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:224)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AsyncHttpConnection.handle(AsyncHttpConnection.java:51 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.jav a:586)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java :44)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

You didn’t mention which OS your on, however, if it’s Windows I suggest downloading LDAP ADMIN to test your connection. I found that was the best way to debug my LDAP string.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ldapadmin/files/ldapadmin/1.6/LdapAdminExe-1.6.z ip/download

Once you’re able to login and browse your LDAP, anything you need will be displayed so you can see the correct LDAP format.

1 Like

TopHat thank you for your suggestion, I have now managed to add an administrator and access the admin console, my next issue is when the users try to search for other users within Spark I get the following error messages:

Unable to contact search service

If I go to actions and start a chat and input the users name here it will find them, and once a chat window is open they can be added to the rosta.

Any suggestions why they are unable to search normally

Openfire is on a windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Spark installed on users PC’s running Win7 SP1

I figured out all the issues, first issue is caused by not pressing the test button on each page of the set up

When installing OPenfire the grey test button must clicked on before saving and continuing.

The search function on Spark will not work correctly if your domain is to large, by narrowing down the LDAP string to just the users OU’s then the search function works perfectly.