Limit search results

Hello,

Is there anyway to limit the number of results returned to a client if their search is too wide (e.g. a wildcard search) ?

I have the search plugin working perfectly on a test system talking to Active Directory. When I restrict the baseDN to just one child domain a wildcard search returns in about 10 seconds. When I set the baseDN to the root of the forest a wildcard search takes minutes. I have set up a search filter so that only active user accounts are returned.

When actually searching using a partial name the search returns almost instantly, even then searching the whole forest. Therefore, it would good if the search could be configured to abort after say, 100 results and just return those to the clients. This would then encourage them to specify better search criteria.

Alternately, is there that only users who have connected at some point to the server be returned in searches (as happens with nativeAuth)?

Regards,

Kris.

Hi Kris,

Is there anyway to limit the number of results

returned to a client if their search is too wide

(e.g. a wildcard search) ?

No, there isn’‘t a way currently to do this with the plugin and/or Wildfire. JIRA issue JM-508, once Guy and/or myself find some time to implement it, will allow users of LDAP to tune Wildfire’'s searching capabilities.

As a slight aside, another feature that I would like to add at some point to the plugin is a way for admins to set the minimum amount of characters that have to be entered for a search. That way you could prevent someone from simply entering “" or "s” which could potentially return a large number of hits.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I’‘ll keep a lookout for these improvements - in the meantime I think I’'ll restrict the baseDN to just one child domain whilst I test out wildfire.

Regards,

Kris.