"Login failed" after initial admin setup

Steps to recreate:

1. On Ubuntu, download openfire.tar.gz.

2. Extract to /opt/openfire

3. bin/openfire start

4. Web browser to localhost:9090/

5. Select embedded database, default authentication, enter email address and password for the “admin” user account.

6. At this point you are redirected to the login screen. Enter “admin” as username and the password created in step 5.

Result: you are given the message: “Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator.”

I have attempted restarting the server and choosing simple passwords, but I get the same behavior. How can I fix this?

Thanks,

John

Which versions of openfire and ubuntu? Also what java (and version) do you use on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 11.10

Openfire 3.7.1

$ java -version

java version “1.6.0_23”

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b23~pre11-0ubuntu1.11.10)

OpenJDK Client VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode, sharing)

Same thing here, with external database:

• CentOS 6.2

• Openfire 3.7.1-1

• java version “1.7.0_09-icedtea”

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (rhel-2.3.4.1.el6_3-i386)

OpenJDK Client VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

• PostgreSQL 9.2 as the database

Same steps.

Blank install, configure etc…, configure admin email address and password…

Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator.

In the warn.log:

2013.01.29 13:17:04 org.jivesoftware.admin.LoginLimitManager - Failed admin console login attempt by ******@****.com from 172.18..

Just wanted to add I also tried logging in as ‘admin’, not just as my admin email address.

Following some other advice, I went into the database, deleted the encrypted password, and set a new plaintext password.

After that, I was able to log in as ‘admin’.