Login fails claims bad username or password when I know it is correct

I’‘ve had some of our users see this with Spark 2.0.7. One user had the problem go away on it’'s own. I reset the password for another, just to be sure.

I just installed Spark 2.5 beta 2 and I’‘m getting it now. Server is Wildfire 3.1. I know the password is correct because I have access to the Wildfire admin page and haev explicitly set the password twice now to be sure. Still can’‘t log in though. There isn’'t anything interesting in the Wildfire logs.

Spark logs/error.log is full of:

conflict(409)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.bindResourceAndEstablishSession(SASLA uthentication.java:307)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticate(SASLAuthentication.java: 210)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.login(XMPPConnection.java:329)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:645)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$400(LoginDialog.java:179)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$1.construct(LoginDialog.java:536)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

For the record, I worked around this problem by forcing an existing connection closed via the WildFire admin console. I was then able to login with a new session at this machine.

Appears we need better error message SPARK-540 will fix that up.

Thanks,

Derek

You mean it is supposed to fail in that case!?

I only mentioned the forcing closed of the existing connection because it worked around the problem. I assume that Spark should allow me to log in on a new machine if I did not explicitly log out from a previously accessed machine.

It’‘s a very poor user experience if a forgotten disconnect means you won’'t ever be able to use your account again

It actually depends on your settings within the “Resource Policy” section of your server. You can choose what to do when a resource conflict occurs, such as:

Always kick - If there is a resource conflict,immediately kick the other resource.

Never kick - If there is a resource conflict, don’'t allow the new resource to log in.

Allow one login attempt - If there is a resource conflict,report an error one time but don’'t kick the existing connection.

I would guess that your server has the “Never Kick” option selected.

Cheers,

Derek