Login problems with a password containing å, ä, ö

I’m having a problem that some of my users have passwords containing one of the chars å ä ö. This seams to make it impossible for them to log in to spark.

I have tried using different Jabber clients to se if the problem lays in spark or Openfire. With pidgin I managed to connect and chat, but with Miranda I got the same problem as with spark, a message telling me I’m using wrong password or username L

Any one got any suggestions to what the problem might be and what I can do to correct it?

Each Data Base Managment Software(DBMS) works and uses a codification character table.

Check if your DMBS accept these characters.

Maybe the software client that works well because implement a interpretation of these characters.

To resolve it, I would create rules like windows said “only alphanumerics charactes accept, not accept å, ä, ö, @ … etc.

Im running the internal DBSM that comes with Openfire and to be honest I don’t know how to make changes to that one =/

To make an AD password rule to force passwords to not contain å ä ö I think I need to get an 2008 Domain or is this possible on a 2003 domain?

I did some more testing yesterday and I found out that the new spark client beta 2.6.0 manage to log in a user with a password containing ö. But I haven’t have had any time to test the client more thought to se if there is some nasty bugs in this version that makes it hard to deploy in this state.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/OF-305 - you may want to vote for this issue

For the embedded DB I can authenticate with special character when I setup the Openfire property “sasl.mechs” to “PLAIN”.

Can I do this when I’m using AD for authentication?.