Looking to implement Spark in our company - Have a couple questions

I represent OOIDA, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association. We’re based in Grain Valley Missouri and I work in the IT department. For the longest time we’ve had Exodus to serve as our IM client between our employees. We’re *finally *looking at moving to a more up-to-date software, since Exodus has been dead for almost a decade now. I just have a couple questions.

1. Is it possible to disable the conferences/group chats? Whatever you want to call them. We feel like those are unnecessary and could potentially cause issues. Not a deal-breaker by any means, just wondering if they can be disabled.

2. Is there any sort of config file that can be edited to make changes? To compare to Exodus, Exodus has a .xml file that we can edit in Notepad++ to tweak some settings. Is there a comparable file for Spark that I’ve been missing?

If there’s not, I suppose I could try my hand at editing the source code itself but I would need some help getting that started.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and answers!

• AaronP
  1. You haven’t mentioned what server you are using. Supposedly Openfire. Then you can disable group chats on the server. Either by deleting the conference service or by setting up permissions to create rooms for a single user/group (say admin). Btw, Exodus also supports group chat.

2. You can find it at C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spark (on Windows) - spark.properties file.

P.S. we have also moved from Exodus to Spark 3 years ago

Thank you wroot!

We actually have a Linux Jabber server so we can use any IM client that uses Jabber. Our Linux guy isn’t in today so I’ll have to talk to him when he gets back.

But thank you for your response!