Make automatic scrolling to bottom of chat configurable?

I’d like to make the functionality that makes chat windows scroll to the bottom on new messages configurable.

I’ve already hacked the latest Spark code from the SVN trunk in order to permanently disable this; my patch for doing so is here:

This solution is unacceptable, as it’s just a hack. My proposal is to:

• Create a new option in the multiuser chat preferences that allows one to toggle this behaviour on a per-chat basis. I’m not keen for this to be a global option across all chats.
  • Create tests that confirm that this works, although I don’t know how yet.
  • Submit the patch, although I don’t know how yet.

How does my proposable sound? This would be a very valuable feature for me, and also I’m keen to give back to this project because I’ve used Openfire / Smack / Spark with fantastic success over the past week and would like to show my gratitude.

Thanks!

I don’t mind this to be configurable (maybe a toggle button near the always on top toggle, would be nie to have just an icon with two states instead of the checkbox with a text string). You can make a patch (in diff format) and post it in this thread (use advanced editor for attaching files). Then i will file it in the JIRA and maybe one of the developers will review and apply it to the source. About testing, i can give it a try myself (apply your patch and compile). Unless you are talking about the unit tests. Can’t help on this, not a coder myself

Taking a look at the source code again I don’t think there are any automated tests, so I’ll manually check it’s working on my end then post a reply when I’m done! Thanks for your answer.