Make my Jabber server be connected from outside (WAN)

Hi,

I’m just a newbie. I need a help here from everybody.

Currently i’ve setup jabber server and successfully run it on my LAN.It working great.

And now I want to make my friends from other network (WAN) be connected into my jabber server via internet.

How can i do that?

Can somebody give me a step by step guide.

I’m very appriciate for your help.

Thank You

regards,

Idham

Hello Idham!!

You can do it with the help of server to server in openfire. Please go through this document http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1030 for detail. It may be helpful to you.

Regards:

Vishawjeet

Hi,

thanks for your answer…

but…

what i mean is not to connect ‘jabber server A’ to ‘jabber server B’.

but only the client.

i have a jabber server in my house…

and i want other client from outside connect into my jabber server at home via internet…

How?

You should open 5222 port and point it to Openfire server in a router connecting your LAN with outside WAN. Also, if you want to use servername to login, there should be corresponding DNS entries in your DNS service.

Yeah…i’ve done it b4.

But it didnt work.

i’m using dyndns.

my domain is ******.dyndns.info

when i try to browse into my domain, it is straight away go to my modem webgui.

i’ve put my dyndns domain as my xmpp domain on jabber server.

i’ve open port 5222 on my router.

after that i try to login by using PSI with my username: username@*****.dyndns.info

but it didnt work.

is there anything that i miss out?

please…help me.

i’m just a newbie in networking and also in jabber.

your help is really needed after i didnt get any solution from google…etc…

Are you chnaged your openfire domain to your domain i.e. xmpp.domain property of Openfire.

totally…yes

Does your server have a public or private IP address? If it is private, you need to do NAT on your router, so that your public IP will point to your private IP and port assignment…

Otherwise, you need to create a DMZ and give your server a public IP address if one is available to you. If you have a standard Cable or DSL account, then you probably do not have an extra public IP address and would have to buy one.

NAT (Network Address Translation) or sometime called reverse NAT in this scenerio, is really the way you should probalby go…

Check your router and see if it will let you create NATs. It will go something like this:

public IP address:80 = private IP address:80

or whatever ports you need. The above example would work if you were running a web server on port 80.

Hope this is helpful,

Wayne