Mapping all users to view the status of other users automatically

Dear All,

I have looked around in the forums for information on how to map all users to all users so that when a user logs in they automatically get to see all the other users who are online.

We are using Openfire 3.6.4 with Active Directory (LDAP) authentication and Spark 2.5.8 as clients.

We are able to see users online if we share certain Active Directory groups to all users. We dont want to add all the groups in order to get all users visible as we have thousands of groups or Distribution lists defined for different purposes.

Does anyone have any usggestions of how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Ranga.

Gloabl NOC

Dear All,

As I have not received any responses. I would like to post another question which may be a solution to my base question.

We have shared 100s of Active Directory groups to all users so that they can view others status. Is there a way to hide such Active Directory groups in the Contacts Tab in Spark.

I dont know whether this question should be posted in the Spark Discussions or the server. If someone can advice on this I will post this in Spark Discussions instead of Openfire Discussions.

Thanks,

Ranga.

To populate a list of all users create a new AD Security group with all users in it. If you share a group there is no way hide it via spark. Personally I created groups specifically for use with spark in my AD. That way they were how I wanted them

This is both server and client question and Todd has already told you how can you achieve this on the server part. Spark doesnt have any option to hide groups. Though i have filed a request for the “groupless mode” and work was started, but now it stopped. SPARK-996

Dear Todd,

Thank you for the reply. Yes. We thought of that and we tried it. It works, That is our only way out. But now we want to hide it because if we expand that we cannot expand or shrink all other useful groups that we do want to see. My question is already responded by wroot and it is one of the feature requests in Spark.

Thanks,

Ranga.

EFI Global NOC

Dear wroot,

Yes that feature looks close to what we require. We can wait for this feature in the future releases. However I have a suggestion, I dont know if you can incorporate the suggestion in the feature request now or not. Please allow that group turn off and turn on feature button to be available on the server and client if possible. If there are challenges in doing this on both the sides then dont put to much time into this. You would know the Openfire/Spark customers better than us.

Thank you for the response.

Thanks,

Ranga.

EFI Global NOC.

The solution for the question is already worked upon as a feature request.

I just have to warn you that Spark is not actively developed now. There is only one volunteer developer doing some work in his spare time. So it can take very long time to be implemented (if at all).

I’m not sure is it possible to have this option turned on on the server. This seems like a complex feature even for a client. Probably server cant send contacts without groups, or this will involve a lot of server’s code “hacking” and going against XMPP standards. So, i cant add this to this ticket or file a new one. I’m not a developer and i think only developer can answer that. Openfire project is not very active either, only a few volunteers are doing some fixes. So, i doubt this will be done. Unless you will find some programmers to do such changes and have your customized Openfire server.

Dear wroot,

What part of openfire and spark is actively being developed?

We still notice some release and fixes being made with these products. Is that done by one single person?

Do you mean that some other product listed in the main page in your list should be used instead of Openfire/Spark? Can you suggest us what is being actively developed that we can use?

Thanks,

Ranga.

EFI Global NOC

I believe only Tinder API can be called as a fairly active project right now (two active developers, constant code updates and new tickets in the bug tracker).

As i said Spark has only one volunteer developer now. Well, sometimes he is active and do lots of code updates. But i really cant say when or whether there will be some official releases. The main problem is that we (community) have no powers to do releases. So we rely on Jive officials on that. And they… are not very active with open sourced projects on this site. They are now more focused on their commercial products. And we are still waiting for some tools to make our own releases and maintain projects.

It is a bit better situation with Openfire. Jive official developers sometimes do patches and releases, but it is still very unclear when they will have time to do this. Usually it has to be some critical security bugs when they respond faster. But this project has more users, more community users providing patches and Jive’s commercial projects can be used in conjunction with Openfire, so they will not abandon this project completely (as with Spark or SparkWeb). So, if Openfire is doing ok for you and you dont have any problems with it and you dont have any pressing feature requests, you can use it and there will sure be future releases. I just cant tell you when new release can be. It could be a matter of days, weeks or months. Sadly, this is how the things are now. If you need fast response, fast bug fixing, when you should probably look for another server.

Speaking about other projects, i cant tell about Smack, XIFF or Whack. SparkWeb can be called dead right now (no developers, no code updates for a year i think, no volunteers).