Message Logs not saving

My workplace requires that we log all the conversations that take place, so I enable Message Auditing, and we keep Message Packets and Pressence Packets.

I have created a seperate partition, mounted as /logs on my system, owned by root.

I checked after 2 days, and nothing is getting written, I now have 21000 packets queued, so I checked the error log, and it is pasted below:

at java.io.Writer.write(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLWriter.writeElement(XMLWriter.java:724)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLWriter.write(XMLWriter.java:255)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.audit.spi.AuditorImpl.saveQueuedPackets(AuditorImpl. java:199)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.audit.spi.AuditorImpl.access$100(AuditorImpl.java:33 )

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.audit.spi.AuditorImpl$SaveQueuedPacketsTask.run(Audi torImpl.java:184)

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

2005.11.28 09:03:33 org.jivesoftware.messenger.audit.spi.AuditorImpl.saveQueuedPackets(AuditorImpl.j ava:202) Internal server error

java.io.IOException: Stream closed

at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.ensureOpen(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write(Unknown Source)

at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.write(Unknown Source)

at java.io.Writer.write(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLWriter.writeElement(XMLWriter.java:724)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLWriter.write(XMLWriter.java:255)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.audit.spi.AuditorImpl.saveQueuedPackets(AuditorImpl. java:199)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.audit.spi.AuditorImpl.access$100(AuditorImpl.java:33 )

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.audit.spi.AuditorImpl$SaveQueuedPacketsTask.run(Audi torImpl.java:184)

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

Any ideas?

Thanks

What database type are you using? I think it was wroot that was having issues with the embedded DB not saving some of the settings for his system with regard to the latest version.

I am using the embeddedDB…

After thinking about it, i’'m not sure wroots issues are what you are experiencing…

After making the changes, if you shut the Messenger (ignite) service down. when you go back into the Admin console did the changes stick? (wroot noticed this on atleast the time zone and i think he also tested a few other settings).

But again, i’'m not sure this is exactly what is going on with you setup, just a vauge idea at this point.

I’'ll have to test it overnight, we have around 60 people logged in during the day

Just 60? Hey, you are canadian. Just send out an email to everyone real quick pointing out that Toronto Maple Leafs are a bunch of whiners. That might distract them long enough to bounce the system. (and um… Go Wings!!)

I’'m probably barking up the wrong tree anyhow. Just seems i remember that the database is used to store the message logs as well as system settings, so i made the jump between what wroot was experiencing (system changes not being made to the embeddedDB).

Hey lcameron,

Can this be related to the way you defined /logs? Try logging the information in another folder such as /opt/jivemessenger/logs or similar. If the problem is gone then it has to do with the mounting. If not check in the error.log if there was an error creating the jive.audit-0.log file.

Regards,

– Gato

I restarted the server and it is now writing the logs properly