Message Window feature/bug

Just happen to notice when we did an upgrade from 2.08 to 2.5 and 2.5.1

1. You no longer see the indicator of the user typing a message. This is in the message box GUI. You can see the indicator when you are in the roster GUI.

2. The IM text area window will not hold resize of GUI frames. If you resize then get an incoming IM, it will revert back to the original size.

Thanks again for a great product(s)

vito wrote:

Just happen to notice when we did an upgrade from 2.08 to 2.5 and 2.5.1

1. You no longer see the indicator of the user typing a message. This is in the message box GUI. You can see the indicator when you are in the roster GUI.

cant test with Spark-2-Spark, but it works fine with Exodus and Psi, i see both indication in chat window and in roster. Notifications start to appear only after get-response. You should get a message and response to it, only when others and you are getting typing notifications. It seems that it works that way.

1. The IM text area window will not hold resize of GUI frames. If you resize then get an incoming IM, it will revert back to the original size.

Hm. You are probably talking about message input area resizing? You see, there was some improvement made for the input area, and i think it’'s nice. Input area dosnt show scrollbar when you type a lot of lines. It automaticly resizes (have just find another issue with that, that should be fixed). And you want it to be with particular size all the time. Seems hard to combine this.

here, another issue with that and possible solutions that i’'ve came up

http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=25882&tstart=0

Thanks for the response!

Lol…

Ok…Well I should have just looked harder… ?

For the indication, I saw it up at the tab with the username. While this is nice to see who is typing something across multiple tabs…it would be more helpful with the indication at the bottom near the message input area. (For the tab in focus)

As it is now, you have to move your eyes up to the top of the screen. When you are typing, your eyes are focused on the message input area. Having this at the tab level makes it a bit difficult. (Might not be a big deal for some, but it is a “user friendly” thing with others)

This might sound strange, but any thought on moving the Tabs to the bottom? Less mouse movement. Even the other options would be nice there. Just a thought…

As far as the message area resize…I did notice what it now does… I do like that, but I think the default size needs to be a bit bigger at the start. That is the only reason I was resizing to begin with.

Hi Vito,

That is exactly how I felt as well. I had it by default where the tabs were at the bottom because that is where my eyes go. However, many people were used to the tabs at the top and they won (heh). There is an option in your preferences to put the tabs at the bottom (Spark | Preferences). This works perfectly.

Cheers,

Derek

vito wrote:

Thanks for the response!

You are welcome

For the indication, I saw it up at the tab with the username. While this is nice to see who is typing something across multiple tabs…it would be more helpful with the indication at the bottom near the message input area. (For the tab in focus)

Derek already pointed you to a preference to switch tabbar to the window bottom. I prefer them to be on top. And i think it depends on chat window size. With the default chat window size it’'s not hard to type and notice typing indication in top of window. I think usually people dont have they IM windows maximized.

As far as the message area resize…I did notice what it now does… I do like that, but I think the default size needs to be a bit bigger at the start. That is the only reason I was resizing to begin with.

This could be good for you. But not necessary for everyone. I dont want it to be larger. I usually type few words or few lines, so i dont need input area to be bloated too much. So it’'s better not to have larger default size, but to make it remember size set by user.

Thanks for the responses (again)

ddman,

Yes, I now see where set the tabs to the bottom. Thanks for pointing that out.

This will help our users.

wr00t,

Well, it could not be that easy to see the indication. (Users would not have asked me about it if was)

Anyway,

I agree everyone has their own preference to what they feel is “comfortable”. But, to have the ability to change and set things the way you like is a good feature for any app.

So maybe just being able to set the text area size and lock it is good, that way users can do what they like.

Again thanks to both of you. ?