Messages Not Being Delivered To Users

You’re lucky… I have 90 users at my current site that were having this issue until I reverted them all to 2.9.3. Messages stopped being missed and everything has been working as intended.

Before updating, I delete from the% appdata% \ Spark \ folder except for “user”
Can you do the same on some computers for testing? Perhaps this bug is related to this.

I would expect this can be required when going from 2.8 version to 2.9, but not from 2.9.3 to 2.9.4. Also, as we had similar issue already (not showing incoming offline messages), i suspect this is a bug in Spark. But we can’t reproduce it easily.

By the way, I once saw this: the user wrote to me, I got a window with it, but there was no message, I saw the text of the message on the Openfire server, but after reconnecting I was able to see this message.
This was probably the only time this bug happened.

and then I had Spark 2.9.5 installed.

I found this message! at this time, this appeared in the Spark logs:

WARNING: A chat entry appears to have been delivered out of order. The transcript window must be reordered!
мар 12, 2021 11:03:38 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
WARNING: A chat entry appears to have been delivered out of order. The transcript window must be reordered!

@R87A Arthur, please look at this bug when you have time

This warning is very old and is showing in the log for many years now.

I have noticed this happen before, though mostly, there would be no window or anything indicating a new message. However if the debugger was running, the message has however been received just not actually shown to the user.
I had gone through and removed every trace of Spark on my, and several other machines that I have quick access to, including the entire Users"USERNAME"\AppData\Roaming\Spark folder, allowing it to be rebuilt on installation. This did nothing. The same issue was there.
Now that we have reverted to 2.9.3, the problem has completely disappeared. Hopefully a Java Dev can pick this up and figure out what is going on. 2.9.3 will work fine for us though.

I’m observing this same behavior myself. It’s only been happening recently, since I pushed out the 2.9.4 upgrade a few weeks ago.

It only seems to happen on the first message of a conversation. After the receiver sends a message back, and keeps the window open, everything is fine. Once the window is closed, and another message is sent, it does it again.

Perhaps tomorrow I’ll revert to 2.9.3, and see if that fixes the problem.

1 Like

Absolutely. We went back down to 2.9.3 and have had 0 problems. I have yet to test 3.0.0 release, but 2.9.3 works perfectly for us.

Unfortunately, it looks like that won’t be possible for us. When I revert back to 2.9.3, I start running into this problem: https://discourse.igniterealtime.org/t/certificate-have-no-basic-constraints-error-using-spark-2-9-3/89025

Our cert is issued from LetsEncrypt, the intermediate is there, date and name are good. This is what prompted the upgrade in the first place. Whole separate issue though.

This is frustrating.

If you use Spark on an internal network, you can disable ssl on the openfire server

Figured that there was no ticket created for this yet. [SPARK-2230] Delivered messages are not being shown in the chat window - Ignite Realtime Jira

Actually, i remember now having similar issue in not yet released 2.7.0 version 5 years ago, which was finally fixed by someone. Spark seems to be cursed with this :slight_smile:

1 Like