Migration to JiveX (cloud)?

The hope is that a kind Jive employee will be helping us with those code modifications.

It would be cool if we got into a more regular JiveX update schedule and stayed on the most current release… Jive could point at the community and use us as an example for prospective customers and what-not.

Jason,

Once we are migrated to Jive’s cloud hosting service, updates will be automagic and we shouldn’t have to worry about what we are currently experiencing running ancient code

daryl

this sounds great! can’t wait!

Migration work is in progress.

I’ve been porting the website code from the legacy APIs used to pull data from this version of forums to the new API’s used in Jive8. That work is almost complete. A theme is already built for the new site. I just need to finish the API porting and cleanup some of the crufty data in this site before I pull the trigger on the migration.

We’re getting pretty close!

After migration, you won’t know much has changed, except that it’s a newer product. URL will remain the same. However, the new site is available for viewing at its temporary URL: https://igniterealtime.jiveon.com/

Note that some data has been scrubbed there, plus all changes there will be lost when we migrate.

1 Like

Actually https://igniterealtime.jiveon.com/ looks now a bit different than originally, because i have playet with layout a bit yesterday As there is no personal view, it is only a shared view for everyone, that i could modify. There are less widgets available, so i couldn’t find a better layout to fill the space. I have removed all the superfluous (in my view) widgets like tags, top users, etc. Forums is the main content, so it should take the most space. We can still play and test with the view on this site, as it is temporary.

Btw, i can’t find a button to create new discussion/doc/etc on the Home screen and anywhere else. Unless this is in read-only state. Should be an obvious button for our users.

By default in the newer JiveX, it seems we have the “top level” “create content anywhere” menu disabled. Instead, there are contextual menu items (same as in our 4.5 version) which let you create content once you’ve navigated to a specific location which allows it.

I’ve enabled the top levle create content menu… it makes sense to have and is a closer mapping to our current experience.

1 Like

The mobile ui looks very familar and not yet customized … using mobile too often (;

Hi Benjamin,

it looks really good, but …

1. Would you please append “Disallow: /” to robots.txt?

2. Any chance to add the inbox the the start page?

One should see the unread items immediately. For me it is a key feature like “create content from anywhere” which you did re-enable. It should look like this:

xttps://community.igniterealtime.org/community/support/openfire_%28formerly_wild fire%29_support shows the discussions.

xttps://igniterealtime.jiveon.com/community/support/openfire_%28formerly_wildfir e%29_support shows the space page and not xttps://igniterealtime.jiveon.com/community/support/openfire_%28formerly_wildfi re%29_support/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~objecttype~objecttype[th read] (the discussions).

Is there something one can do about it? Just a thought to keep the user experience as is.

1. Do we have SFTP / REST or any other upload option to modify static files on the server (robots.txt, sitemap.xml, …)?

There is no image on 2. Do you mean 'Your stuff" on the current version? On JiveX it shows numbers of unread stuff on your avatar on the home page. Actually, as i rely on email notifications, i hope once you open the thread with new messages it will automatically clear it in your Inbox.

I hate the broken image upload. Let my try an ASCII layout:

HEADER

**Inbox **| Recent Content

**Actions **|

Stream 1 |

New Stream |

-------------------------|

Spaces |

Product |

Support |

Openfire |

I would get too much emails. One can still create email watches in JixeX. I prefer to login and check the number of updated / unread items as I don’t have urgent issues.

I changed how the Home Page works. So now, you’ll get the Overview page by default, but still see the inbox and streams menus.

Have you or someone else modified the home page view? Now it shows Inbox and stuff on the left. I haven’t foundsuch widget while playing with the view yesterday, though. It shows moderation cases and it was showing +50 on my avatar and in the inbox about unread threads http://www.part.lt/img/27756641bab822ef0c6c8574e5aeba5e438.jpg

This layout is ok, but i don’t like the expanded blog posts at the bottom. It will load this huge chunk of text and images every time you go to the forums. Will be especially slow on mobile. It is enough to just see a list of recent blog posts titles (small view of the widget).

I guess Ben did modify it - I can’t. I didn’t see any blog posts.

Compared to the jivesoftware.com UI the recent content widget looks lame.

It seems to be a Jive limitation that one can not place a widget below the inbox / activity streams. I hope Jive is listening and wants to improve this in an upcoming cloud release.

https://igniterealtime.jiveon.com/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-stream is the mobile version. There’s no customization and the load time/bandwidth usage is quite high because of uncacheable avatars.

He has removed blogs from the bottom. Good call But they can still be somewhere on the side with only titles. Because it is useful to have them around if you want to go back to some news and check something and you don’t want to dig through recent content, use search or dig through the blog page. Personally i would move poll to the top instead of spaces (well, we need to make more polls and attractive ones, but there is not much we can ask people), then it could show 5-10 latest blog posts titles. I don’t think New or Top users widget is necessary (especially after i beat everyone ). Quick tips. I don’t mind. Spaces, well, i have never used them and they take too much space as a tree and it is just a waste. One can find spaces in the Places menu. Or they can be somewhere on the side, but not the tree view, but more condensed one. I really miss my bookmarks widget though…

LG, what if you expand the menu on your avatar (near the new content button) and press on Overview Page under the MANAGE section? It then brings the customization menu for me.

Finally I found “manage” and used it.

I replaced “recent content” with “recent activity”. I did not find “recommended content” and “recommended people” - they also would show more fresh / dynamic content.

But I removed “places” as these static view make indeed not too much sense there - I wanted it on the left side so that new users see all spaces before they post.

Currently I have the your groups widget on the left side to see my groups to access them easily (like a bookmark). This will not be possible with JiveX …

Oh. no, what have i done This is BAD, i don’t want recent activity, it is waste waste waste of space… I want to see at least 50 last threads/content, not some avatar or status updates in a threaded style view. I only use flat view in the forums also. And i believe Recent Content was the default view all the time for the new users.

Jive, you really should give another thought about personalized view…

Seeing only the titles was yesterday. One sees indeed much more titles without any further information on one page (14 for me) than threaded discussions (2 for me).

Anyhow I restored “recent content” on the overview page. The “activity” page shows already “recent activity” and one can set it as “Home”. And there the automatic loading of more activity works, no need to click “more” manually.