Miranda 0.3.3.1 weird contact adding (firewall problem?)

I have two machines with miranda 0.3.3.1, each client is behind a firewall. The firewall sets all outside traffic to the same public IP. (i am connecting to a publicly available server on the other side of the firewall that has the current Jive install)

Each client can connect, register and then login in without a problem.

If user 1 tries to add user 2: User 2 contact is added (offline), and User 1 is added requesting authorization.

If user 2 tries to add user 1: User 1 contact is added (offline), and User 2 is added requesting authorization.

The admin console - session window displays that they are connected and online.

debug logging only shows:

2005.02.22 12:11:50 Connect Socket[addr=/XXX.YYY.ZZZ.AAA,port=19976,localport=5222]

2005.02.22 12:11:55 Connect Socket[addr=/XXX.YYY.ZZZ.AAA,port=19991,localport=5222]

2005.02.22 12:12:03 Connect Socket[addr=/XXX.YYY.ZZZ.AAA,port=20065,localport=5222]

where XXX.YYY.ZZZ.AAA is the publicly available ip address handed out by the firewall.

error logs shows this multiple times:

] Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.roster.Roster.deleteRosterItem(Roster.java:302)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.removeItem(IQRosterHandler.j ava:224)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.manageRoster(IQRosterHandler .java:181)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.handleIQ(IQRosterHandler.jav a:97)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:192)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:74)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.readStream(SocketReadThread.jav a:207)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.run(SocketReadThread.java:109)

Any ideas or other information that i could supply?

Could you try downloading the latest nightly build and retry your case? From the stack trace I see that you are not using the latest nightly build though I don’'t know which Messenger version are you using.

The latest nightly build is quite stable so you won’'t run into problems by using it.

Thanks,

– Gato

I downloaded “jive_messenger_2005-02-22.zip” from the nightly build section. I backed up my current directory (d:\apps\jive) to another location. I then overwrote the installed location with the extracted files from the zip. I then copied over the new “jive-messenger.xml” with the one in the back up folder.

I’‘m using win2000 SP4 (all possible patches to this date), embedded database for Jive. I’'m still getting the dumps from the previous posting:

] Internal server error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.roster.Roster.deleteRosterItem(Roster.java:326)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.removeItem(IQRosterHandler.j ava:230)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.manageRoster(IQRosterHandler .java:187)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.handleIQ(IQRosterHandler.jav a:103)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:195)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:57)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.removeItem(IQRosterHandler.j ava:238)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.manageRoster(IQRosterHandler .java:187)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQRosterHandler.handleIQ(IQRosterHandler.jav a:103)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:195)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.readStream(SocketReadThread.jav a:213)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReadThread.run(SocketReadThread.java:113)

And my two test users can not add any other contacts. well, they can add them, but they never show up as online and messages from one to the other are never received. and the “self adding to contact” oddity still occurs. I’‘m fairly certain this is because of the “global outside” address that my firewall uses, but i ain’‘t smart enough to figure out what needs to be done. I’'ll gladly troubleshoot anything that yall ask of me.

I’‘m not sure what changed. I’'ve since deleted the users from within the admin console. Re-registered both accounts and now User1 sees User2 and vice versa.

I need to see if i’'m still getting the same stack errors, but hey, who am i to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I have the same problem with miranda

it looked like that they’'re updating their jabber plugin

let’'s c if it gets better with newer jabber plugin

You might want to check out the 0.4 alphas of Miranda, they really aren’‘t that bad I’’’'ve been using the first pass of 0.4 for over a month with only a few “kickouts” from the client. Just install it to a similarly named directory (parallel test) as your Miranda 0.3.3.1. …just a suggestion.

where did you find 0.4? All i’'ve been able to find is 0.3.4.

please check here:

http://blog.miranda-im.org/

latest build

http://files.miranda-im.org/testing/miranda_testing_20050223.zip