Missing message text in Spark 2.5 on Vista

I have the same problem as reported in this thread http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=139817&#139817

I am running the released version of Spark 2.5 on Windows Vista. No text shows in the message conversation window – only time stamps with no carriage returns between them. I am receiving errors regarding emoticon files in the logs, but these are file not found exceptions and don’‘t seem to be related to proxies at all (which we don’'t use anyway).

Apr 5, 2007 9:44:27 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE: Error unzipping emoticon pack

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Spark\xtra\emoticons\POPO.adiumemoticonset.DS_Store (The system cannot find the path specified)

I can manually navigate to these files and unzip them.

I also noticed that there is an Appearance option in the preferences, that is inactive. I don’'t know if the two issues are related.

Version 2.08 was running on this machine without any problems.

Any help will be appreciated.

regards,

Alan.

Hi Alan,

This is related the permissions issue with emoticons. This should be resolved in the upcoming 2.5.1 release, as I’'m moving the archived emoticon packs to the user.home/Spark/xtra/emoticons directory. This should allow me to unzip from there.

Cheers,

Derek

Sorry, I was mislead by the error message in the log. It said it encountered a “SEVERE: Error unzipping emoticon pack”. In fact these folders and files are not zipped, so it would encounter an error unzipping them.

The interesting thing is that the same installer installs the folders in exactly the same way on XP, but it does not complain about being unable to unzip them. Spark 2.5 runs fine on XP.

However, if I do zip the emoticon folders on Vista. Spark 2.5 runs fine and displays the message text correctly. However, I can hardly expect all my users to make this manual change, especially as they don’'t have write permissions for these folders in Vista.

I don’'t know why Spark would be trying to unzip the folders on Vista, but not on XP, but this is something that needs to fixed.

regards,

Alan.