MSN gateway loses connection after time - even though appears online to user

I have the same problem, but with 2 situations

1.Behind a firewall and Proxy, Dont Work. (loses connections after time but dont show online)

2.Without a Firewall, directly to Internet. and work Perfectly

There some new combination with Gateway and MSN, like new communication…

This problems will drive me crazy.

My server is also having this issue. Running on CentOS 5.2 / OpenFire 3.6.0a / Gateway 1.2.4d. Server is behind firewall but no NAT. We have static outside address mapped to inside address. Any other information or testing that is needed I can provide.

I will also try to disable buddy icons and see if this helps.

I’ve had this issue since I started using Openfire and Spark about 3 mos ago. Openfire and Spark totally rock, btw, amazing software, but this one issue is maddening. I tried disabling buddy icons to no avail. Every morning I have to shut down all my clients and restart – essentially re-initiating the MSN gateway login. Seems to go out to lunch overnight, but on the client it appears to still be logged in. I have the same server specs as mohamed.elali. Any other thoughts or ideas on what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I used to be a Sharepoint guy, but I’ve been so impressed with Openfire I have a client evaluating Clearspace for a community app they are building. The feature set is impressive and the integration with Openfire is very compelling. XMPP is the way to go for messaging apps. Rock on!

Keep up the great work.

Update: After disabling the buddy icons the issue seems to have gone away. I have not re-enabled the feature to test on 3.6.2 yet.

Hi

same issue here. Server 3.6.2 on MySQL with 1.2.4d. Other error log messages?

The error log shows two main issues (lot’s of entries).

Walter

2008.12.19 10:31:36 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.interceptor.InterceptorManager.invokeInterceptors(In terceptorManager.java:240)] Error in interceptor: org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.protocols.msn.MSNTransport@26af9e while intercepting:

Friends

java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.sf.jml.impl.SimpleMessenger.addFriend(SimpleMessenger.java:79)
at net.sf.jml.impl.SimpleMessenger.addFriend(SimpleMessenger.java:138)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.protocols.msn.MSNSession.addContact(MSNSessio n.java:292)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.BaseTransport.interceptPacket(BaseTransport.j ava:2501)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.interceptor.InterceptorManager.invokeInterceptors(Int erceptorManager.java:228)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:110)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:68)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processIQ(StanzaHandler.java:319)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processIQ(ClientStanzaHandler .java:79)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:284)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:176)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:133)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)
at org.apache.mina.common.IoFilterAdapter.messageReceived(IoFilterAdapter.java:80)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:185)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :239)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:283)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2008.12.19 20:41:12 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender.append(Log4JToO penfireAppender.java:49)] Avatar: SQL exception while inserting avatar:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLIntegrityConstraintViolationException: Duplicate entry ‘john.doe\40gmail.com@gtalk.myserver’ for key 1
at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:931)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2985)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1631)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1723)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3283)
at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1332)
at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1604)
at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1519)
at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1504)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor52.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.ProxyStatement.invoke(ProxyStatement.java:100)
at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.ProxyStatement.intercept(ProxyStatement.java:57)
at $java.sql.Statement$$EnhancerByProxool$$d762e456.executeUpdate()
at org.jivesoftware.database.ProfiledConnection$TimedPreparedStatement.executeUpda te(ProfiledConnection.java:806)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.avatars.Avatar.insertIntoDb(Avatar.java:277)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.avatars.Avatar.(Avatar.java:118)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.protocols.xmpp.XMPPListener$1.run(XMPPListene r.java:147)

Hi

I have changed my server setup a bit and was able to resolve the issue reported.

The key was the inclusion of the HTTPS proxy in the JVM setup. The MSN gateway needs a working HTTPS connection to handle the “upgrade to a new MSN version” attempt by Microsoft. Please check this document fpr details:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1100

Regrads

Walter