MySQL woes

I REALLY hate doing this.

Opening up so many threads in a support forum. But, seriously, I would’nt do this if I could’nt find the answer myself. So, please bear with my guys.

Keep in mind I am still a novice at this stuff so most things I do make an honest attempt to look up before asking. Of course anything found always winds up being over my head or nowhere near what I needed(GOOGLE IS NOT THAT HELPFUL*). As stated in another thread I started. I did a clean reinstall of everything. Originally I could’nt get MySQL to properly install for my linux distro until last night. So, its MySQL5.0 running fine. Im able to change the default password and run commands.

However I cannot get the MySQL GUI to connect. Following the advice of 1 friend, I removed a line in the my.cnf file called “skip-networking” and STILL I cant get the blasted thing to connect! What else am I missing? Either way I tried looking up the commands to do the import thing of the schema in the Openfire folder manually. The commands provided in the walkthrough do not work for me. What other commands can I use to import that schema since I cant get GUI tools working?

Thank you

What “MySQL GUI” ? You do not need any GUI.

Login to mysql (if you don’t have set a password for database-root account yet, forgot about the “-p” parameter)

shell> mysql -p -u root

create a new database ‘openfire’:

mysql> CREATE DATABASE openfire;

create a new user ‘openfire’:

mysql> CREATE USER openfire IDENTIFIED BY ‘your-new-password’;

Give user ‘openfire’ only rights for table ‘openfire’:

mysql> REVOKE ALL ON . FROM openfire;

mysql> GRANT ALL ON openfire.* TO openfire;

logout

mysql> exit

import database schema:

shell> mysql -p -u openfire openfire </opt/openfire/resources/database/openfire_mysql.sql

Aw c’mon another one of those “anti gui” things? I thought we lived in the new millenium and long since left the 70’s-90’s?:wink: heheh

Thanks either way! Ok, everything was going good till the “</opt/openfire/resources/database/openfire_mysql.sql” part.

Was that supposed to be all in 1 command? If so, its not working. I keep getting hit with an: bash: /opt/openfire/resources/database/openfire_mysql.sql: Permission denied error.

BTW: I am using a different name for the created DB & user. The steps all remained the same and no errors on each one. Its just that one which I believe is for copying over that schema thats not going through.

Means that the mysql user did not have enough permissions to create new tables and such, might want to try and use root or something.

Tried it as root. Same error. Unless you mean “system root”?

Hey!

I su’ed to root and BOOM, it worked! 0.o

Not sure if this is the sign of issues to come if everything I need to do is gonna require me becoming system root to do things that should be user level.

Well, either way Winserv & Coolcat. GOOD LOOKING OUT!

Thank you both of ya!

bash: /opt/openfire/resources/database/openfire_mysql.sql: Permission denied error.

seems like your user had not the permission to read that file

Offtopic:

thought we lived in the new millenium and long since left the 70’s-90’s?:wink:

If you know all the shortcuts (Tab, Strg+R, Cursorkeys, …) and small helper tools you can work MUCH faster using console. Especially if you are working remote using SSH.

thought we lived in the new millenium and long since left the 70’s-90’s?:wink:

If you know all the shortcuts (Tab, Strg+R, Cursorkeys, …) and small helper tools you can work MUCH faster using console. Especially if you are working remote using SSH. <

Heh, I know. Its just that its such an age old argument. You’re looking at a guy that could care less which to use but still goes for the “visual” if given a choice. Hey, Im a graphic artist. Im a visual guy by nature^^. So, if there’s a viable graphical choice available, of course I’ll gun for it everytime. The whole argument if you ask me is all about “personal prefs”. Because both sides will battle to the end of eternity as to which is more practical =\