Need a little help editing the spark.properties file!

Hey everyone, I have a quick question to ask. I am trying to edit the spark.properties file so that when I install spark on all our client computers, I can simple run a script that will copy the properties file from the server to the client computer. THAT is not my issue tho, I am trying to edit the spark.properties file so that I can generate the currently logged in user, to pre populate the username field when spark starts up, so that they can just enter their password.

This is my properties file ( I have marked the area in red that I need help with ).

Also if you can see any other settings I should chage for a “Locked Down” version of spark. The agents at my work are call agents, so very little permission.

I would also like it if they where UNable to log out off Spark, as its used to tell them to go for break, or lunch and other things…

Thanks in advance…

#Spark Settings

tabsOnTop=true

checkForBeta=false

startOnStartup=true

lastUpdateCheck=1190636253719

defaultChatLengthTimeout=15

useSystemLookAndFeel=true

notifyOnOffline=false

offlineGroupVisible=true

emoticonPack=Default

compressionOn=false

protocol=SOCKS

xmppPort=5222

sslEnabled=false

autoLoginEnabled=true

notifyOnOnline=false

chatNotificationOn=true

spellCheckerEnabled=true

passwordSaved=true

resource=spark

showHistory=false

toasterPopup=false

password=

username=

ssoEnabled=false

hostAndPort=false

server=it01.ncs.net

showEmptyGroups=false

contactListFontSize=11

buzzEnabled=true

xmppHost=it01.ncs.net

chatRoomFontSize=12

emoticonsEnabled=true

timeout=10

proxyEnabled=false

windowTakesFocus=false

showAvatar=true

debuggerEnabled=false

timeDisplayed=false

So, what’s the question? If it’s a Windows, you can prpbably create some vbs script to do editing, etc.

The question is how can I edit the username field so it populates the currently logged in user…If you keep the username blank, the agents have to enter their username, I have tried “%username%”, %username% but they both do not work…

Is there a way that this properties file can run on a computer, and read who the user is, and enter that value into the username field?..

I know for windows applications, you can enter %username% and it will determine who the user is and fill in that area.

Hi Paul,

I think you need another program so solve your idea. I suggest AutoIT to do that job after installation. Do you need help in programming a working example for that? Or do you know AutoIT? I can create a small program that exactly do what you want after installation of spark.

Best,

Benni

Is AutoIT a plugin or something for Spark,

What we want to do is have Openfire Server. Have Spark installed on all client computers 200+, but would like to have a file I can just copy into the Spark directory and have it read that file to setup each client. And using the spark.properties file, you can just make one, than copy it to the spark folder and spark will know to read from it upon start up…but I want the agents to have as little input as possible, I tried to get the SSO in spark to work but I could not get it working. So if they have to enter in a password that is not that big of a deal, but I would like Spark to prepopulate the username, and host name, and also remove the add account, and advanced tabs from the login…Not too sure how to do this, I have little to no experience with scripting…lol

Thanks in advanced.

Well, it won’t work the way you think. You can’t just copy the same file to all computers and think it will somehow pick the right username. It’s a simple text file, not a script. You have to run a script on every computer, which will copy the properties file with a blank username, put an appropriate username and then save the file. Ideally such script should be running through a group policy in AD. Or you can somehow put it in every user’s startup folder, etc. You can use %username% in the script, but then your Openfire accounts must have the same name as Windows accounts. Anyway, if you are not good at scripts, then it would be as tricky as SSO.

You can get rid of some menu options http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-2163

No, AutoIT isn’t a plugin. It is a scripting environment to create very easy a mini .net tool to automate administrative work. But wroot answered it correctly. With no scripting experience it is a little bit tricky with autoit.

I can build you a script in a exe-file that is only grab the Windows uername and fill it in the spark property file. Do you need only that kind of dynamic in your property file? All the other parameters are static, like the chat server host and so on, isn’t it?

Best,

Benni